1. off-bounds (== outside the arena)
    2. occluded
    3. empty cell
    4. wall cell
    5. food cell
    6. another creature
  • January 17th, 2003, 09:18 AM
    Yves M
    Dimitry, once the initial rules have been finalized, I'll place them in a sticky thread, same with the initial version of server and clients.
    Quote:

Move forward and attack are the same thing
    Seems fair enough to me.

Quote:

..and the direction the other creature is facing
    Sure, I forgot about that ;)

Quote:

off-bounds (== outside the arena)
    occluded
    empty cell
    wall cell
    food cell
    another creature
    Right, I was thinking that we could have a wall all around the world or maybe even make it 'round' so that if you go past the north border, you end up on the south border (not for the initial version though).
    "Occluded" is of course a possible response from the server for some cell contents.
  • January 22nd, 2003, 03:42 AM
    galathaea
    some more clarifications needed
    I haven't had a chance to look through the server coder yet to see if these questions might be answered there, but I was organizing some notes on a creature I've been considering and have a small little list of things I am still a bit unclear about. I thought maybe it might be good to post them, in case others needed the info as well.
    • I have seen mention of the move as 1 space forward and as a move being possible in any of the 8 directions. Which is the actual rule right now? This is basically asking if orientation is tied to movement, or if they can vary independantly (and if we may move only forward, this takes out direct diagonal moves).
    • Is the only action that consumes food right now the attack? I can't seem to find any rules for the food consumption of the other moves, but I do see a separation of a theoretical consumption for attack and a general modifier that applies accross the board.
    • Is there a life max beyond which you cannot regenerate (probably your starting amount, I would guess), or does regeneration occur with out capping? There is mention of life percentage (in regards to enemy stats visible) which does indicate a special reference value, but I could imagine percentages over 100 as well.

Those are the major confusions I have right now. I'm sorry if these are answered somewhere I have overlooked, but any assistance will be greatly appreciated!
  • January 22nd, 2003, 04:52 AM
    Elrond
    I think every single turn should require food consuption. Even staying idle should require some food consuption (maybe just 1, the minimum). One creature doing nothing still require energy just to stay alive. This will also force creature no to stay idle for too long.

It could be something aroung the following ratio:
    Staying idle -> 1
    Scanning -> 2
    Turning of 90 (270) degrees -> 4
    Turning of 180 degrees -> 6
    Moving forward -> 6
    Moving diagonal -> 9 (if diagonal moves are used)
    Harvesting food -> 8 (of course it will bring more, but you need at least 8 to begin harvesting, otherwise, ... you are as good as dead).
    Attacking -> Depends on the attack capacity, ... Say the formula given by Yves M (I think).

This is just a ratio that may be doubled or changed to find the best possible balance.

I agree that the issue with the moves must be clarified. But may be it would be simple in the first stage to make only forward move with no diagonals.
  • January 24th, 2003, 08:20 PM
    SolarFlare
    I may be a little late in saying this, having not seen this project until now.

In any environment with many characters, such as this, there is bound to be some level of diplomacy. Whether two units decide to share vision, or protect each other, or ambush another unit, or if a unit robs another unit of its food in exchange for sparing its life, etc., there will always be something. It would be a mistake not to include some sort of communication method between units. Perhaps not in the original version, but if possible it should be incorporated.

At any rate, there would have to be some defining communication technique that would say who you can talk with (i.e. would it have to be someone in your sight range? would it have to be someone who isn't necessarily in your sight range but that you've met before?), when you can talk with them, what you can talk about (a limited set of keywords so that any unit can be programmed to understand them), how units send messages and respond to them, etc.

I think it would add depth to the game and make it more "realistic". It could be simple, the conversation could initially consist of a few keywords, and each unit could send one message per turn and respond to one message before deciding on its action for that turn.

If this sounds like a horrible idea, sorry! I think that if this isn't added, people would try to take alliances out of the game, and program it into their units for an advantage. Just an idea ;).
  • January 24th, 2003, 10:55 PM
    Goodz13
    I beleve communication between 2 creatures would be for a version 2 or 3. I think it might be a good idea, but I think that it would be a lot of work for the first version, or even second. Of Cource they wouldn't communicate directly, but through the server.
  • January 24th, 2003, 11:16 PM
    SolarFlare
    As I've read through this, I have realized that there is a critical flaw in the movement of units.

To begin with, these units will be smart; and all I mean by that is that they will know whether or not they should engage in battle with another particular unit based on the formulae of the outcome. If a unit is near enough to attack them, the about-to-be-attacked unit (which wishes not to be attacked) can avoid the attack by continually moving forward! The only way for the attack to work is if the runner runs out of food or if he runs right into an obstacle.

It would not be very useful for a unit to be running after another unit for several turns merely to attack it. The attacker must have some sort of "attacker's advantage" to prevent this. For example, allow attacks to be diagonal, or allow units "in pursuit" to travel two squares while units "not in pursuit" travel only one.

I do not wish to further complicate the initial version of the game, but unless I'm missing something (please point it out if I am!), the attacks will be a great disappointment.
  • Show 50 post(s) from this thread on one page
    Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast