CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

How to use de debugger

Hi y'all,
    I am trying to do some step by step debuging. The probleme is that instead of showing me each line of code, it seems like it's in assemblier, the only thing i see is something that looks like memory stuff. Is there anything i can do to make the programme looks like if he is doing each line of code one by one (Like my old Borland C++ compiler?)

KillKenny

Re: How to use de debugger

Right click and select the option Go to source. If that does not help, that means that you're in a computer generated code section. You can help that by setting a breakpoint (F9) where you want to start debugging. Use F10 to go to the next code line in the same file, F11 to go to the next code line to be executed.

Hope that helps.

Hi!

Depends on what you're doing. Typically, VC++ displays assembly only if a) there's no source available, or it doesn#t find the source code, or b) you explicitely requested this.

Usually, if you break deep into the call stack, you'll only see disabssembly of some Windows DLL's that don't come with source code. however, you can almost always walk up the call stack (F3), and put a breakpoint.

When you create a project with VC++, you will always get a DEBUG and a RELEASE configuration. Make sure you build and run the Debug thingie.

If you're still lost: How do you start your debugger?

Peter

Well it still doesn't work. The way i start my debugger is that i try to put some break point and when i hit F5, it display a message telling me that one or more break point will be disable. Or when i try Run to Cursor, it does the same thing. I don'T really know what to do. In the projet/Settings and i set tje WinDebug properly. it still doesn't work.

KillKenny

Here are the errors i hoave in my debug window at the bottom of my screen:

Loaded 'C:\WINNT\System32\ntdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\KERNEL32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\USER32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\GDI32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\ADVAPI32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\RPCRT4.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\shell32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SHLWAPI.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\COMCTL32.DLL', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\indicdll.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\Program Files\MS Hardware\Mouse\msh_zwf.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\version.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\lz32.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Loaded 'C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\msidle.dll', no matching symbolic information found.
    Maybe this can help you!

KillKenny

Those are not error messages, just info messages that some dll's were loaded.

About the debuging problem: I also think you're in the disassembly window. Try hitting alt+F7, it'll show you the call stack where you can see which calls were made. Then double click on the function that seem familiar to you.

If that doesn't work, try to set more breakpoints on places you are sure the are set correct. Some places breakpoints cannot be set (declarations for example).

Tell me if it worked!

HTH and GL,

Dennis

Rating isn't important...
    Uhhh Yes it is!
    Please rate ppl so they know they helped.

Are you trying to debug a DLL? If you are, set the DLL as the active project, when you hit F5 to run, it will ask you for an exe to run that will load your DLL. Your breakpoints should then work ok.

Is it a DLL?

Roger Allen
    Roger.Allen@<a rel="nofollow" href="...ytical.com</a>
    Ok, Points make prizes, and ratings make points.
    Did I help?
    Please use meaningful question titles - "Help me" does not let me know whether I can help with your question, and I am unlikely to bother reading it.
    Please remember to rate useful answers. It lets us know when a question has been answered.

Thank you all, a little bit of all the different info i received and everything is working fine! thanks again!!

KillKenny