CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Use settings to generate file prior to Compile-time

In visual c++ 6.0, is it possible to generate or touch a file prior to compile time.

This would allow the use of the __date__ macro in the above file to reflect the time of a build.

Re: Use settings to generate file prior to Compile-time

Well you can shell anything you want during the PreLink phase.. check project settings under the Pre-Link Step tab.. you could write a small console app that just writes the date to a file and run the console app in your pre-link step in another project.

Pre-link is post-compile, I want pre-compile

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/te...n_bldrul~1.htm
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ld_process.htm

****************************************************************************************************
    Ratings are unimportant but feedback is. Let the helper and the worldwide community know what works, perhaps with ratings.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

As far as I can tell, the following links:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/te...n_bldrul~1.htm

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...ld_process.htm

provide information on how to perform pre-link and post-build operations. I am interested in
    pre-compile operations.

Then you probably glanced at them, assuming they would not help. Some people do that, and I can't do much to help if they do.

If I am incorrect and there is not a way to at least add a file extension for files to be processed when out-of-date by a command that is specified for that file extension, then I apologize for wasting your time.

****************************************************************************************************
    Ratings are unimportant but feedback is. Let the helper and the worldwide community know what works, perhaps with ratings.
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

Perhaps I misunderstand what you are saying. I thought that a rule that runs when an input file is out of date in relation to its output file or if the output file doesn’t exist would be something you could use.

"Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

My rapid response to your post may suggest that I only glanced at the links that were provided. However, I had read them before sending my original post. That is not to say that they do not contain the information that I am looking for, only that I did not see it in them.

Also, my search for a "Settings"-only solution is motivated by the need to conform to established build procedures and existing documentation.