CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

What relationship of C#,VS7.0 and Microsoft .NET Framework SDK Net Classes?

I confused.
    VC++ —— C#
    VS6 —— VS7
    SDKnetClasses——MFC
    Is it right?

Regards!
    David

Re: What relationship of C#,VS7.0 and Microsoft .NET Framework SDK Net Classes?

If what you're showing is an evolution track, then...

Yes, C# is the next step for C++ developers.

VS.NET (as it will be called) is the next version of VS6. I'm not sure what you mean on the last one, however.

When you say SDK net classes, are you referring to the platform sdk? If so, MFC doesn't replace those as much of that functionality isn't wrapped by the MFC class library.

Cheers,
    Tom Archer - CodeGuru
    Inside C# (late 2000)
    Teach Yourself Visual InterDev in 24 Hours

------
    Tom Archer, Archer Consulting Group Inc.
    Author - Inside C#, Visual C++.NET Bible, Extending MFC Apps with .NET
    http://www.ArcherConsultingGroup.com
    Consulting * Training * Custom Development * Enterprise Solutions

Hi.
    Isn't it true that Microsoft will also include "managed" C++ in addition to C#? If so, it does not seem to me that C# is necessarily the "next step" for C++ developers, as they can stick with C++ and still take advantage of .NET. Or are there intrinsic qualities C# has that would be truly painful to emulate with managed C++? Please tell me if my logic is screwed up somewhere, because I'm not trying to be argumentitive, I'm just trying to understand .net and C# a little better. Obviously Mr. Archer knows much more about this matter than I.

Thanks

>>>
    Isn't it true that Microsoft will also include "managed" C++ in addition to C#?
    <<<
    Yes, it's true that managed C++ is a part of the .NET frameworks. However, there are two things to consider here:

1) Managed C++ is a pain to write and it's much easier and faster to write in C#.
    2) If you're writing managed code, it really doesn't make sense to write in C++. In other words, if you want the code managed, you would use a langauge specifically built for that purpose.

Even Microsoft admits that managed C++ should not be used for writing new applications. It simply doesn't make any sense since it's much easier to write a managed app in C#. Managed C++ is, therefore a bridge for those people that have C++ applications and want to add .NET features to their application. However, even then, I think I'd be inclined to write the feature in C#, expose it as a COM object and then use that from standard VC++

>>>
    If so, it does not seem to me that C# is necessarily the "next step" for C++ developers, as they can stick with C++ and still take advantage of .NET. Or are there intrinsic qualities C# has that would be truly painful to emulate with managed C++?
    <<<
    See above.

>>>
    Please tell me if my logic is screwed up somewhere, because I'm not trying to be argumentitive, I'm just trying to understand .net and C# a little better.
    <<<
    No worries. There's a lot of misinformation and incomplete information out there and with a new technology it's going to take a while for people to realize the "lay of the land". Your questions and concerns are therefore, certainly valid. However, it's definitely clear that C# is the future for (most) C++ developers.

Does that mean that C++ is going away. Absolutely not. VC.NET is coming out next year and there's talk of another version after that. There will always be a need for C++ development because somebody's got to write the device drivers, development tools, etc. that can't afford the performance hit. However, the majority of new development projects will begin to be done in C# in the very near future.

Cheers,
    Tom Archer - CodeGuru
    Inside C# (late 2000)

------

Tom,

Could you give an example comparison of C# code vs. the same code using "managed" C++? I'd just like to get a concrete feel for how much of a pain it will be to write managed C++.

Thanks a bunch,
    Alvaro

I had wanted to answer this question this weekend, but didn't get a chance. I'm on my way to EarthWeb (in New York) to try and help them solve some of these discussion board problems and I'll be back on Tuesday evening. If someone else hasn't posted any samples for you by then, I will. Sorry to blow you off, but I'm literally on a plane in about 3 hours.

Cheers,
    Tom Archer - CodeGuru
    Inside C# (early 2001)

------

I'm also curious about the VB.NET. I have heard rumors that it will be completely revamped and object oriented.... is this true? If so I would expect the language to be quite similar to C#. I wouldn't mind seeing a little managed VB code too, if someone has the time...
    thanks

Oh yes, VB7 will be quite a different animal. Like C#, it will support single implementation inheritance (finally!). I've seen a few articles posted on the web talking about it... can't remember where though.

Regards,
    Alvaro