CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast

Re: We are beating a dead horse: See the Terms & Conditions

We will probably have the revised 'Terms & Conditions' today.

Re: We are beating a dead horse: See the Terms & Conditions

We will probably have the revised 'Terms & Conditions' today.

Re: A third analysis: An idea for a complete open site. The site can be commercial or non commercial

Believe it or not, maintaining a site like CodeGuru is a lot of work not to mention the cost involved. The bandwidth itself costs a few thousand dollars. Fortunately for me, there were enough advertisers to pay for the expenses.

The code will remain free to use and the authors will retain their ownership of the code.

Also there are a number of advantages to the users that CodeGuru is now under the Earthweb umbrella. With the resources available to Earthweb, we should be able to expedite the updates, add new types of contents, organize more contests etc.

Do give you feedback on the new 'terms' once it has been revised.

Thanks,
    Zafir

Re: A third analysis: An idea for a complete open site. The site can be commercial or non commercial

Believe it or not, maintaining a site like CodeGuru is a lot of work not to mention the cost involved. The bandwidth itself costs a few thousand dollars. Fortunately for me, there were enough advertisers to pay for the expenses.

The code will remain free to use and the authors will retain their ownership of the code.

Also there are a number of advantages to the users that CodeGuru is now under the Earthweb umbrella. With the resources available to Earthweb, we should be able to expedite the updates, add new types of contents, organize more contests etc.

Do give you feedback on the new 'terms' once it has been revised.

Thanks,
    Zafir

Re: The New Codeguru

Thanks for the support.

Re: The New Codeguru

Thanks for the support.

Re: Details of the acquisition

What's not in the press release is that there were other companies that were interested too. With their focus on developers and source code, I thought it best to go with Earthweb. Before you start pointing to the 'terms and conditions' do wait for it to be updated.

As many of you are aware, I started this web site because I was writing a book and didn't want my work to go waste if I failed to publish it. I am glad I did. I can't imagine a better way of using my skills and reaching so many people. The result has certainly paid off.

Re: Details of the acquisition

What's not in the press release is that there were other companies that were interested too. With their focus on developers and source code, I thought it best to go with Earthweb. Before you start pointing to the 'terms and conditions' do wait for it to be updated.

As many of you are aware, I started this web site because I was writing a book and didn't want my work to go waste if I failed to publish it. I am glad I did. I can't imagine a better way of using my skills and reaching so many people. The result has certainly paid off.

Re: Please clarify how we remove existing articles

Hi Robin,

The 'terms and conditions' are misleading and that was not the intent. No restriction has been added to your article. We hope to have the 'terms and conditions' updated today to clarify this issue.

The very reason CodeGuru exists is to promote code sharing and to be a platform to help each other out. I believe that after the acquisition CodeGuru can continue to serve these functions.

Like you, a number of other folks have benefited from the code available at this site and have in turn made their own contributions.

As for removing existing articles, if you send me mail at zafir@home.com, I should be albe to take care of it. Unfortunately the codeguru emails are down at the moment.

However, I do request you to hold off till the updated 'terms and conditions' are posted.

Thanks,
    Zafir

Hi Robin,

The 'terms and conditions' are misleading and that was not the intent. No restriction has been added to your article. We hope to have the 'terms and conditions' updated today to clarify this issue.

The very reason CodeGuru exists is to promote code sharing and to be a platform to help each other out. I believe that after the acquisition CodeGuru can continue to serve these functions.

Like you, a number of other folks have benefited from the code available at this site and have in turn made their own contributions.

As for removing existing articles, if you send me mail at zafir@home.com, I should be albe to take care of it. Unfortunately the codeguru emails are down at the moment.

However, I do request you to hold off till the updated 'terms and conditions' are posted.

Thanks,
    Zafir

Post deleted ...

Deleted on request

Post deleted ...

Deleted on request

Just a Question

Will there still be contests held for articles here at codeguru ?

mtighe@pobox.com

Re: The Copyright Debate, the Kirks, the Idiots, blah blah blah (Please read this and turn your flam

Zafir,

I wasn't implying that you were the one criticizing me using the "Anonymous" post, I wasn't even thinking that. I don't know who it was and, frankly I don't care. I was trying to say that whoever it was, should contact me directly, rather than roasting me over the open fire, yes put a fork in me I'm done! It was becoming some sort of an adolescent game, of which I had my fill.

I have nothing but the utmost respect for you Zafir, you have done a tremendous service for the development community with CodeGuru. When the takeover took place, I was very shocked, I just wish that we (the managers) were informed that we were going to be cut off from CodeGuru, before it happened, so we would could have prepared for it. As a result, I overreacted, I apologize. It was very frustrating sending emails to managers with 'recipient unknown' returned to my inbox. Trying to post peoples articles and finding out the hard way that all of our user privilidges had been revoked, and in the mean time not knowing what to tell people who wanted to post their aritcles.

I have reconsidered, and have decided to leave the articles here, but I think not only myself, but the rest of the managers would like to know if we are still going to operate in the same capacity, or just what we need to expect. I hope that you can accept my humble apology, and I wish you the best of luck...

Kirk Stowell

In deference to all the valuable work you have put in I will do so until I see the modified terms.

Robin

Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1118192021222324 ... LastLast