CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast

Re: Help codeguru?

Don't you think that this is a little naive ? CodeGuru has always had adverts on it's pages - how do you think Zafir managed to pay for hosting the site in the first place ?

Most authors publish their work on a site to help other people and to get recognition - this in turn prompts other people to post code / articles and in the end, everyone wins. The CodeGuru site has proved invaluable to me in the past, and I don't really think that much has changed (apart from the horrible blue wavy line). There aren't really that many more adverts (they're just slower to load) and according to the big cheese at EarthWeb, the 'copyright issue' is just the same as it always was (just badly written).

If more people who posted to this discussion just sat back and thought for a minute and examined the facts (rather than over-reacting to the visual changes and the crappy copyright notice), then I think things would soon get back to a normal state.

Just my 2 cents

What did Zafir have to sell?

$12 MILLION -- REALLY ?????

Pardon my ignorance... But I am trying to figure out what Zafir (and gang) sold to Earthweb. Innovative search technology? A nice organizational model for a multi-topic site? The numerous articles he, himself contributed?

Kirk Stowell and numerous others selflessly donated "free" code to the site and put time and effort into explaining the details of Windows programming. In my limited intellect, it seems to me this is what built codeguru. Without it, there would have been NO codeguru. So I'm puzzled by all this. Something seems pretty disingenuous here. Can ANYONE doubt why all those contributors are angry as heck?

Re: Help codeguru?

I have to disagree here.

I've contributed articles to codeguru in the past, and I'll do so
    again. Why, because quite simply I've gained far more by being able to
    read the other articles, by contributing I get to help create a useful
    resource and get to post stuff where it might be read. Frankley I can
    post what the heck I like on my own web site, and the odds are that no
    one will ever notice. If I post it here then it gets read, reviewed.
    I get bug fixes back and I get it distributed for free. Personally I
    find all of these things useful.

The fact that the site is owned by someone else doesn't really bother
    me. It was owned by Zafir for a long time, I've invested a lot of
    time in it (I was the original moderator of quite a few sections and
    wrote some of the early scripts that assist with moderating here), but
    I've got a lot out of it. I regularly come back here to see what's new
    and if I have a problem, then this is the first place that I look for
    a solution.

In other words I get value from the site, if someone else is able to
    make money out of it as well then fine.

I'd be much more upset to see everyone flee what they see as a
    comercial site than I am to see it run by another company. So far my
    only gripe is with the look and feel, that can be changed so I'm not
    letting that bother me.

Guy

Re: Just a Question

Yes. We still have to finalize the result of the earlier one though.

Re: Just a Question

Yes. We still have to finalize the result of the earlier one though.

Re: The Copyright Debate, the Kirks, the Idiots, blah blah blah (Please read this and turn your flam

No one doubts that the transition could have been handled in a much better manner. A big part of the blame falls on me - I was being too optimistic.

As for the email, that was a genuine technical screw up. The fact is the web site has now moved to a new server with new set of permissions and a whole new way of publishing the articles. I myself was not receiving any emails sent to zafir@codeguru.com. I believe this problem has now been fixed since I can now receive any new emails sent to the codeguru account.

Thanks for letting your articles remain on CodeGuru.

We are still trying to work out how the process would work with section managers. Because of the greater security being used at Earthweb ( I too don't have access to the live machine ) all the actual udates might have to be made by just a couple of people. We (the developers who have used CodeGuru) have been lucky to have had such a pool of talented developers act as section managers and I would love for you and the others to continue.

Thanks,
    Zafir

Re: The Copyright Debate, the Kirks, the Idiots, blah blah blah (Please read this and turn your flam

No one doubts that the transition could have been handled in a much better manner. A big part of the blame falls on me - I was being too optimistic.

As for the email, that was a genuine technical screw up. The fact is the web site has now moved to a new server with new set of permissions and a whole new way of publishing the articles. I myself was not receiving any emails sent to zafir@codeguru.com. I believe this problem has now been fixed since I can now receive any new emails sent to the codeguru account.

Thanks for letting your articles remain on CodeGuru.

We are still trying to work out how the process would work with section managers. Because of the greater security being used at Earthweb ( I too don't have access to the live machine ) all the actual udates might have to be made by just a couple of people. We (the developers who have used CodeGuru) have been lucky to have had such a pool of talented developers act as section managers and I would love for you and the others to continue.

Thanks,
    Zafir

Re: Add your comment about the new look and feel of CodeGuru

Not sure I like the changes.

Doesn't seem to be an easy way to go between source code area and the discussion board.

Or atleast it's not obvious to me.

Mark

Re: Fixed margins suck!

It's really hard
    to read the list
    of articles on
    a given topic
    now that they
    all get wrapped
    around in a tiny
    little space
    shoved over to
    the left side
    of the screen
    and it's such
    a pain I can't
    understand
    why any web
    site would
    do such a
    dumb thing,
    let alone
    a site for
    developers
    who surely
    have
    something
    better than
    a VGA monitor.
    Wouldn't you
    agree? I think
    it makes much
    more sense
    for HTML
    tables to
    adjust them-
    selves to
    fit in the
    viewing
    window like
    they were
    designed
    to.

"although the width of some of the pages have been fixed (mostly for the benefit of non techies)"

- What in the world would a "non techie" be doing at this site?

"although the width of some of the pages have been fixed (mostly for the benefit of non techies)"
    - What in the world would a "non techie" be doing at this site? And why in the world should the rest of us suffer?

why the long delays?

What in the heck is going on? I have to wait about 10 seconds after every page loads before I can see anything substantive. Of course, an animated ad is racing around on the screen during that time. I understand that earthweb makes its money doing ads, but this is punishing. Frankly, I don't have 10 seconds to waste for *every* page I load.

Re: why the long delays?

"What in the heck is going on? I have to wait about 10 seconds after every page loads before I can see anything substantive. Of course, an animated ad is racing around on the screen during that time. I understand that earthweb makes its money doing ads, but this is punishing. Frankly, I don't have 10 seconds to waste for *every* page I load."

Sorry, make that 30 to 50 seconds for a page to load. This is nuts. It brings new meaning to the concept of "productivity".

Re: why the long delays?

How fast the page becomes visible depends on your connection speed. At work I can use a 2MBit line, and the pages are coming fast. A big difference at home where I use a 56k connection (V90). I see the cookie warning, click on "No", see the ad, and go to the kitchen to get something to drink.

If the programmer of the script would add two things it will speed up the process at least for the people using IE5. First, use the CSS table-layout:fixed; for tables. With this style sheet IE5 doesn't need to render a whole table before displaying it. Second, add the attribute DEFER to the <SCRIPT> tag if the scripts doesn't need to be executed during loading the page. IE5 will first display the page and then start interpreting the scripts.

Martin

Re: What did Zafir have to sell?

Well, first of all, if the site is the same as before (which I'm sure it will be after the flame(r)s have died, the new legal statement is in place, etc...), why should you or anyone else care if Zafir made some money off it. He has put an enormous amount of work into this site, so why shouldn't he get some reward for it? I think that the ad space, and the ability to offer the service at all, is indeed the reason for Earthweb's interest. The code is and remains free, so what else is there? And of course, most of us have probably visited EarthWeb's homepage at least once since the acquisition, and now know about some of the other services they offer. I think they'd happily pay a great deal for that too.

Also, Kirk Stowell and other people have indeed appeared to be very angry, but Kirk has recanted, and in his latest couple of posts, he seems to again be behind Zafir. I would think that once the dust settles, so will most of the others.

The bottom line is, and I'll say this again, if the site is the same, what's the problem? It just sounds like you're just jealous because someone else made a lot of money and you can't have any.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1219202122232425 ... LastLast