CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Why applet can't access JDBC? UGENT pls!!!

helo all,
    why i can't access to jdbc through applet? if i register the driver, the security exception comes out ? .. izzit something related to untrusted applet ? any one who help me will be rated, pls !! . it's urgent for me!! thanks you

You might be able to give the applet permission by using the policytool. Look at the error message for what permission to give. The applet will have to be executed in the java plugin for the permission to be effective; browsers don't use the java.policy file where the permission is recorded.
    Why not rewrite the program as an application to get around the security issue?
    Norm

i need to make it online for centralize my database, you mention some policy stuff ... i'm not quite understand that.. then how can i configure it to become accesible? THANKS YOU!! .. need your reply again

Applet permissions vs server database

Is your database on the server that the applet is loaded from? Or on the client's computer? I was assuming the latter.
    I know a little about security settings for applets and how to give them permissions, but I know nothing about databases.
    Applets don't need permission to communicate to the server that they were loaded from.
    Perhaps you could explain your setup a little more.
    Norm

Norm,
    very thanks for your reply, i'm using Ms SQL as my database,
    i did read out some security policy about applet, and i knew that applet can't make call to native method,, then izzit means that
    when i invoke 'Class.forName("Mydrive")' it raise error? .. but how ever ... i can't even get through further, and i did read out JDBC security, it listed that untrusted applet cant open connection to database, izzit means that , it's no way of doing that? ... i think i will shift back to application .. thanks you anyway

What is the full text of the error message you are getting?

What is the setup for your application and how are you running it? Is there a database server running on another machine? Is your applet being loaded from the same server or is it being loaded from a local HTML file? Where is the class file for the driver that you are trying to load with the Class.forname() method? Is it in the same jar file as the applet? Or on the local classpath? Or on the server?
    Norm