running C# program
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: running C# program

running C# program

From what I have heard about this language you must have C# loaded on a machine to run a program written in C#. (i.e. it is like Java) is this true, or does it generate an executable that can be run on a machine without C#???????

Re: running C# program

Yeah ! It is like java. Any program in any .NET language starts with loading the CLR, which is in mscorlib.dll. So firstly this should be there on ur system. Secondly, all the dlls form which u r using ur namespaces in ur assembly folder in WINNT.

SO u've to download the runtime from MS site.

Re: running C# program

Originally posted by ncs
    From what I have heard about this language you must have C# loaded on a machine to run a program written in C#. (i.e. it is like Java) is this true, or does it generate an executable that can be run on a machine without C#???????
    The machine must be loaded with the CLR ( common language runtime). This is the equivalent of the JVM. Unlike the JVM though, the CLR can run any managed application (VB, C# etc).

You can use tools like ngen to precompile your IL code into the architecture of your choice but I believe you still need a lot of the DLL's that come with the CLR to run your applications.
    Jared

ngen.exe will only affect startup times. You will still need the whole CLR to run the assembly. You will also need the original assemblies present on disk, since the CLR requires these for metadata. An ngen'ed image does not contain any metadata by itself.

Is there a way to package the program into an installation file that will take care of the nuisance?

How can I make an installation file, like with vb5?

I haven't used it myself yet, but try
    File->New->Project->Setup and Deployment Projects for a start...
    "Judge a man by his questions rather than his answers." - Voltaire

err...
    Where do I start?
    I want to create a setup app for my (c#)solution.

dky1e:

sternaphile wrote:

I haven't used it myself yet, but try File->New->Project->Setup and Deployment Projects for a start...

... which I believe presumed that you are using the C# .NET IDE, which would open the New Project wizard for you.

You could then select 'Visual C# Projects' from the Project Types frame, and either 'Windows Application' or 'ASP .NET Web Application' from the Templates frame.

Hope this helps,

JimH
    Doin' the Shift-Click Drag ....