dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: What's the less expensive database interface for commercial use ?

What's the less expensive database interface for commercial use ?

Hi everybody !

I'm currently planning to develop a client-server simbple interface via VB6 and have the problem as stated in the topic...

I was thinking about mySQL... what's Your opinion on that ... what would Ypu choose ?

Thanks

You have to look at all the factors involved - while MySQL is free, it might not have all the bells and whistles that you will need to administer it (or even be able to run your program in the most efficient manner). You might find that what would take you a couple of seconds in SQL Server, could take hours in MySQL....that is just one of the things you need to factor in.

Another, is the licencing agreement - I know (knew) that Informix was free to users of Netscape Enterprise Server, but when the site I was working on generated > 10000 hits per day, Informix wanted the site to be registered and monitored by them, and additional licence fees were payable. (So we switched to SQL Server....)

Also, you have to look at the support you can get for those 'once in a product lifetime' bugs....at least with SQL Server, or one of the other big name DB providors, you can lodge a service call...(or post a question on any one of a number of forums....like this one) - but will you be able to do that with MySQL?
    Be nice to Harley riders...

MSDE - The restricted version of SQL server - can be distributed freely with an app. so long as you have a developer license to one of the qualifying applications: SQL Server developer edition, Visual Studio .Net, etc.

SQL Server 2005 express is also free and less restricted than MSDE, but not yet in production release.
    '--8<-----------------------------------------
    NEW -The printer usage monitoring application
    '--8<------------------------------------------

At the moment Oracle 10G is free to download. There are some conditions on how you use it, don't rightly remember. I guess whoever is buying your application will still have to buy a database engine.

I think if you release an application which uses MySql, do you not have to make the code public or otherwise buy a commerical licence for it?
    JP

Please remember to rate all postings.

If you release an application, you do have to have a License for it. MySQL has a little bit of a funky scheme. If you release an Application where you can use MySQL OR PostGreSQL OR MSDE... then you do not need a License. If you release the code to the public you don't need one. If you are creating a proprietary app, you don't need one. And I think they may be changing their terms.

TwoDogs is correct, MySQL does not have all the bells and whistles at the moment. Depending on the version you use, you may or may not have views/triggers/Stored Procedures/Transactions.

There are pleny of resources you can use to get your questions answered. MySQL has a mailing list, and most questions are quickly answered. There is also a http://www.vbmysql.com. It is a small forum of people but pretty good.

One thing I really like about MySQL is you can download an API dll and connect through this. It is quite complicated but very fast. the VBMySQL site has a connecter for this .dll that works similar to ADO.

Have fun in your decision.

Thanks !

Hi guys and thanks for the valuable info.

I see there're many different ways to use...

Will examine it harder now

Thanks again.