dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to wait for external processes to complete?

How to wait for external processes to complete?

After I run a .bat file through the shell function, how do I make the program for the .bat to finish doing it's "stuff" before continuing. I'm trying to access a file that the .bat file takes a sec. or 2 to create and I keep getting a "file does not exist error" because it hasn't been created yet.

here's a thread I picked up a couple of days ago on exactly that topic
    Attached Files Attached Files

Why are you sending me a .zip file??

Is this some type of virus?? Could you just send me a link.

Search for CreateProcess, it's been posted a multitude of times...

Will do, thanks and sorry for the repeat

jeez fella, the ZIP file is just a zip of a text file that I copied off this board. as far as I'm aware, ZIP files can't be viruses unless you RUN an exe that they contain or open a Word file. This is a TEXT file.

pardon me for trying to be helpful

You can use the WaitForSingleObject api and the createprocess api
    Nicolas Bohemier

Look at the end of this thread, you could always search for the List of active process (if you use CreateProcess, search with the PID) to see if the Process is still running.

http://www.codeguru.com/forum/showth...0&pagenumber=2

Alternatively, you sould check for Synchronization function, look for the API CreateSemaphore if you want to add a professionnal look at your application

JeffB - hope it helps

sorry about worrying about the .zip file, my bad, and thanks for the help. Probel is I'm not using VB I'm using a stupid Rational Rose scripting language that uses some VB and RR extensibility. I don't know how/if I can import packages. GRRR Ratioan Rose sux.

How about this. I just pause the program for 10sec. and hope for a quick run time. what's the pause command in VB?? Sorry for the N00b questions, but my only VB book is in German.

You have to use the Sleep API for pausing your application.
    Nicolas Bohemier

Public Declare Sub Sleep Lib "kernel32" Alias "Sleep" (ByVal dwMilliseconds As Long)

And, you could always trap the error and you could always see if the file exist before accessing it...

JeffB

Originally posted by phinds
    jeez fella, the ZIP file is just a zip of a text file that I copied off this board. as far as I'm aware, ZIP files can't be viruses unless you RUN an exe that they contain or open a Word file. This is a TEXT file.

pardon me for trying to be helpful
    well viruses can be anything really, i can lace a zip and once it is run the pc is f*ed, BUT before the zip is run the person can check the file for a virus! lol don't be so quick to judge programs...Also exe's are usually not autorun so you can scan those as well....the ones you should realyl watch out for a pictures....could be anywhere...like on a web site etc...

just my two cents

- nc
    "In a world without walls and barriers, what need is there for windows and gates!" - a mac ad
    "What was the best thing before sliced bread and when did sliced bread go out of existence?" - me
    "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds <- gotten from Andreas Masur

Live Penguine! - Tux the linux mascot
    Vivez le penguine!, ¡Viva en penguine!, Lang lebe der Pinguin!, Viva no penguine!, Viva sul penguine!

Viruses are not that bad..

Worms are worse..

Nicolas Bohemier

I think the thread I posted in the ZIP uses the API, which should be available to you from whatever you're using. If the API isn't available, you may be out of luck.

boogt, are you saying that the simple act of unZIPing a ZIP file can infect your PC w/ a virus???

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast