CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Angry Unexpected Error: 50003

I've read all the other threads releated to this error, but would appreciate hearing from anyone else who's experienced this annoyance and knows of a solution.

The facts:

- it's nothing to do with gifs

- VB6sp5 - everything works fine for days - even weeks, then the app blows up. I've got error handling in for 50003, but I still have no clue what causes it - I've even dumped the memory in the error handler in case it was a memory leak - it's not!

- I'm pretty sure that it's got nothing to do with a COMCTLxx mismatch - the build machines are pretty much identical to the production machines.

- we have some custom OCXs in the app - they're rock solid though in terms of memory.

Any ideas would be a great help. I can't paste any code - the problem isn't confined to any particular routine.

How memory/resource intensive is this app? It could be "crash by a thousand memory leaks" ... VB is notorious for it ...

That's what I'm kinda thinking ... but I've got a "watchdog" program that monitors all aspects of memory, buffer usage, handles etc. - and I'm pretty sure that the app is behaving itself.

It is, however, pretty memory intensive - it's also using a lot of 3rd party hardware and software (NCR scanner, thermal printer, MICR, MSR) which could quite easily be causing a problem that I can't monitor.

The annoying thing is - that some piece of code somewhere knows EXACTLY what happened (couldn't allocate memory etc. etc.) - why doesn't it just tell you ?

Thx for the reply.
    RK

Oh, you didn't say what version of windows you're running on ... That will make a BIG difference also ... 9X drivers/dlls are memory hogs and swiss cheese when it comes to memory allocation/release ...

Win2000 Pro

Interesting ... what kind of components/controls are you using?

Two of my client machines got this error, it occurred when show a hided form.
    using frm.show vbmodal. It happened usually at the end of the day after a day of intensive running.

Searched the internet, and still not a clue.

Thanks for reading, hopefully for a reply.