dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Running VB6 on Windows XP

have you included the forms in the project?
    you need to do that before you can try to run the program...
    umm if you need further help let me know...

hope it helps

- nc
    "In a world without walls and barriers, what need is there for windows and gates!" - a mac ad
    "What was the best thing before sliced bread and when did sliced bread go out of existence?" - me
    "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds <- gotten from Andreas Masur

Live Penguine! - Tux the linux mascot
    Vivez le penguine!, íViva en penguine!, Lang lebe der Pinguin!, Viva no penguine!, Viva sul penguine!

Don't know about XP, but when I transferred a vbp from a 95 box to an NT4 box, I had to start a new vbp, then add all the forms & modules to it - that was the only way I could get the project working on the NT box.

Thanks to both:
    Ill work on that aspect. VB is working perfectly on XP, but it doesn't like files generated under 98.
    I would expect that XP might be similiar to NT. Will post any progress or lack thereof later.
    RSH

Thanks to all for the input.

Below is M-soft recommendations for moving VBP files from a 98 machine to an XP machine.

1 Select the VBP file on the old computer & double click.
    2 Select the project explorer
    3 Click all the + signs to full expansion.
    4 Make a list of all the files that are in Project explorer( they are
    in parentheses)
    5 Close VB6 and copy all the files on the list to a floppy except system specific files such as vbw frx oca.

6 Shove the floppy into the new computer and place all the files in a folder
    7 On the new computer double click on the vbp fileand note any errors that occur. It will either tell you that a file is missing or generate a log file.

One more thing. If you are trying to access the date with a 2 digit
    year that will have to be coded in. XP gives forth with a 4 digit year.

73 RSH

Originally posted by RSH
    I would expect that XP might be similiar to NT.
    RSH
    the reason for that is that XP is derived from 2000 which is derived from NT4.0 and in certain cases is called NT5.0 in the early versions of Win2K you could open a cmd line interface and type ver and it would spit out
    Windows NT 5.0
    Now the thing about WinXP is that MS wanted to take the GUI aspect of 9x and the OS aspect of the NT technology...and put them into 1...win 2K was supposed to do this, but flopped in that sense...just ended up being a newer NT and ran well for server type operations...And XP is this elaborate design to incorporate the .Net design and the GUI + ease/operability...So XP will run like a NT machine...

hope that helps a little

- nc
    "In a world without walls and barriers, what need is there for windows and gates!" - a mac ad
    "What was the best thing before sliced bread and when did sliced bread go out of existence?" - me
    "Software is like sex, it's better when it's free." - Linus Torvalds <- gotten from Andreas Masur

Live Penguine! - Tux the linux mascot
    Vivez le penguine!, íViva en penguine!, Lang lebe der Pinguin!, Viva no penguine!, Viva sul penguine!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12