CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question System time format (Answer found)

Hi,

do you know how I can get the system time format from Windows?

My problem is that I have the date as a string, under a format I know about. I want to create a csv file to be able to open it in Excel. Excel use the system format to look if a string is a date or not.

The problem will mainly appear for month/day. Usually, english format will be: "10/22/2002" while some other formats will be "22/10/2002".

I need to know how to format the string in order to have excel recognise the string as a date, and not as a simple string. This is a window setting as you can change it in the control panel, so there must be some API function to look for it, but I don't know which...

Any idea?
    Last edited by Elrond; October 22nd, 2002 at 10:55 AM.
    Elrond
    A chess genius is a human being who focuses vast, little-understood mental gifts and labors on an ultimately trivial human enterprise.
    -- George Steiner

take a look at setlocale()

may be could help you.

Thumbs up Answer found

Thanks.

What I was looking for is the format item %c.
    Elrond
    A chess genius is a human being who focuses vast, little-understood mental gifts and labors on an ultimately trivial human enterprise.
    -- George Steiner

If the data is for a cell then it is possible to set the cell format. That way Excel is much more likely to process the data as a date.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

...This is a window setting as you can change it in the control panel, so there must be some API function to look for it, but I don't know which...
    The Windows SDK function to query locale settings is GetLocaleInfo.

Originally posted by Sam Hobbs
    If the data is for a cell then it is possible to set the cell format. That way Excel is much more likely to process the data as a date.
    That's to write in a CSV format file, so it's not possible to set a cell format. On the other hand, even if you set the cell format as a date, if the string does not have the date and day in the correct position, at best it is just recognised as a string (if the day is more than 12), or even worse, it will invert month and day!!!!

So I think the best is to use the proper format for the string in the first place.
    Elrond
    -- George Steiner

Originally posted by alpha137
    The Windows SDK function to query locale settings is GetLocaleInfo.
    Thanks.

As I'm just interested in the date/time format the %c format item does it much more easily (and probably quickly) for me.
    Elrond
    -- George Steiner