CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: DAO

DAO

I would like to know whether VB5.0 supports DAO? Also I need to read more than 10,000 records from a file and hence manipulate it.Which is the best method of read available with VB 5.0?If i go for binary read, i need to use the OPEN method and if it is text read can i go for Filesystemobject?
    If it is a text read, which will give more performance, FSO or the open method?
    I am using a number of collections and classes in my application.Will it affect the performance?
    Can i be able to increase the performance by using DAO recordsets instead of Collections?
    Please give me a reply
    Thanks,
    Sripriya

Re: DAO

First of all, VB5 supports DAO, just add a refference using the project>refferences menu.

Second of all, I would use the OPEN method over the filesystem object (although M$ advices us not to do). This gives you more control over things. What speed concerns, you are reading quite a lot of data, so speed will be about the same. About the only difference is that you don't have to create the filesystem object, but again, with that amount of data, it will be hard to notice the difference.
    Last of all, if the collections must contain a lot of data, you are better of with a recordset. If possible, I would advice ADO, cause this doesn't need a workspace, and has a better performance than DAO, but DAO will beat large collections. Also, a recordset is way easier to search than a collection.

Tom Cannaerts
    slisse@planetinternet.be

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning -- Rich Cook
    Tom Cannaerts
    email: cakkie@cakkie.be.remove.this.bit
    www.tom.be (dutch site)

Re: DAO

hi priya,
    VB5.o supports dao but vb6.0 has ADO much more faster with OLEDB.
    using open method is faster then FSO.
    using DAO recordset to read and manipulate
    could be faster than looping through collections.