CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Crappy Windows 9x

I have written an app that creates a network share and uses this share to manipulate files on a server. One HUGE problem. Its doesn't work on 9x, I cannot get the drive mapping to occur.
    I'm using WNetUseConnection to make the drive map. I'm aware of the reversed Username/Password issue between 9x and 2000. Seems like XP uses the same UN/PW order as 9x through. I've tried reversing these - no luck.

Heres the current setup of the two machines

Server Side: Windows 2000 Prof called DocSrvr with a shared drive with full control permissions given to a user group called DriveShare.

Client Side: Win 98, in same Workgroup as the Win2k machine. I've added the 98 login being used on the 98 machine as a local user on the 2k machine and made it a memeberif the the DriveShare group.

Ive tried specifying a different UN/PW combination that has admin rights on the 2K machine, I've tried using the current credentials of the 98 machine. I've even tried DocSrvr\Username to try and force win98 to look at the Win2k machine access table...still no luck.

When I try and connect it asks for only the password, but does not show what username is being used...

does anyone have a solution or insight into this issue ?

I'm getting frustrated and non-productive.....

Um...I fail to see what this has to do with Visual C++ (this is a Visual C++ forum).
    Regards
    Robert Thompson

I was not sure if the problem was related to WNetUseConnection and 98, or if there was a bit flag I was not aware of. It actually had to do with a VC++ project I am working on. But the problem is fixed now.
    Thanks anyways for your um....interest.

Re: Crappy Windows 9x

Hi mmalling!
    If you finally solved the problem, could you please post it? I'm trying to use this function, and though I program on Win2k, I need it working on Win9x too.
    Thank you!