CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question urgent ... please help me

We are about to build an application using VB6 which will parse a PDF data file and update a database with necessary information. The structure of the data file is complex and several calculations are to be performed on some of the columns. Is it possible to read the PDF format directly from VB? If not then, is there any free activeX component available for converting the PDF to text format? It’s worth mentioning here that to retain the exact structure/formatting of the data file after converting to text mode is of prime importance for parsing reason

Question how to convert pdf file format to text file format

We are about to build an application using VB6 which will parse a PDF data file and update a database with necessary information. The structure of the data file is complex and several calculations are to be performed on some of the columns. Is it possible to read the PDF format directly from VB? If not then, is there any free activeX component available for converting the PDF to text format? It’s worth mentioning here that to retain the exact structure/formatting of the data file after converting to text mode is of prime importance for parsing reason.

Better way is to write a Acrobat plugin...and study the Acrobat SDK.it has many good things which are undocumented for non Adobe developers. Dont go for reading PDF in raw ..you will end up in non portable code.
    Regards,
    Ramkrishna Pawar

Hello there,

I don't know if you can parse a pdf file but I know for sure that you can't convert a pdf to txt. In my application I had the same requirement (convert to rtf) with no luck.

Go for the first option.

vvang10