CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

HOw to access your remote application

Since I did not get a response, I'll try rewording again and see if I can get a solution.

I have created an application which runs on a remote machine. I have heard that through DCOM you can control the application and run functions or methods contained in your remote application. I am not too sure of how to make it work. On my web page I have the following:
    Code:
    <body>
    <%
    dim MyApp
    dim MachName

MachName = "123.123.123.123"

set MyApp=CreateObject("MyApp.Application", MachName)

%>
    </body>
    This does create the object since I don't get any errors but how do I access or call a function in the application. I want to call a function called update(CString &CurTime).

Is there a book I can get to teach me this?

Mike@spb

I would advise against using DCOM for remote applications.
    Sockets are much easier to implement(i.e. they always work,versus DCOM sometimes, if you happen to install it correctly).

Thanks, I was looking into using sockets. Seems simplier. I got my application to listen on a certain port. Do you know how to connect to it using asp?

Mike@spb

To use sockets from ASP you would have to write a C++ dll that wraps raw sockets. I wrote a very skinny and fast one that I unfortunately can't share here. But PJ naughter's pop3 classes (look up in Google,he's a Dr Dobbs) show how to use raw sockets. If you then strip off his MFC sh*t you have a good socketclass.