CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Beginners Luck

Unhappy Beginners Luck

Can anyone help?
    I have little knowledge about Java development.

I have been assigned to build a telephone call-logging application. Similar to the one which comes with windows (Phone Dialer).

I have a firm understanding of Visual basic and would have no problem in that language, however, I do not know where to begin using Java.

Furthermore I am not allowed to use an intergrated development environment!

John

dlorde is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    It would help if you were a little less vague...

I have little knowledge about Java development.
    How much do you know about Java? Give us some idea.
    How serious is this telephone call-logging application?

If you haven't actually written any Java programs, you need a Java course, either online or regular. If you can't get a course, then you need at least a few (6-8?) weeks teaching yourself with whatever resources are available.

If you don't get a decent period (at least a month for an experienced VB programmer) learning the basics of Java and OO programming, you could make a horrible mess of the telephone call-logging application. It depends a great deal on your current experience.

If you get a good course, expect another month or two to get up to speed for a real-world commercial application.

Java's pretty easy, but there's an awful lot to learn to write a full real-world application of commercial quality.

Normally I would say that for an experienced procedural programmer to make the switch to OO programming and a new language and become commercially competent and productive would take at least 6 months, but I guess you don't want to hear that.

Of course, that may not be the requirement...

Furthermore I am not allowed to use an intergrated development environment!
    I'm not sure I understand (you didn't explain...), but that sounds just plain stupid. If you're pushed for time, a good IDE such as IntelliJ IDEA will significantly reduce your learning curve by prompting and correcting you as you code. In the 21st century I can see no good reason why you should not take advantage of 21st century tools.
    Please use [CODE]...your code here...[/CODE] tags when posting code. If you get an error, please post the full error message and stack trace, if present.