dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: error MIDL2020 : error generating type library : SaveAllChanges Failed

Unhappy error MIDL2020 : error generating type library : SaveAllChanges Failed

when i am building a particular atl dll i am getting the followinf error message error MIDL2020 : error generating type library : SaveAllChanges Failed

Good for you !

I expect you want to know what it means and what's causing it ? I had a look in MSDN for an explanation, but it doesn't give one

As to what's causing it ? No idea without seeing your code. You may want to show us some if you need more help.

Jase

www.slideshowdesktop.com
    View your images and photos on your desktop with ease using SlideShow Desktop, the desktop wallpaper manager for Microsoft Windows.

I had another look and found this using Google :

"MIDL2020: error generating type library
    The type library could not be generated. One possible cause of this error is specifying a path to the IDL file that is longer than 126 characters. Oleaut32.dll does not support path names longer than 126 characters. "

Also, I found this, which may be helpful ?

" ... In contrast, the COM map, used by ATL's implementation of QueryInterface, must contain an entry for each and every interface (except IUnknown). So our COM map changes from:

BEGIN_COM_MAP(CMultiInterface)
    COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IFoo)
    COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IDispatch)
    END_COM_MAP()

to:

BEGIN_COM_MAP(CMultiInterface)
    COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IFoo)
    COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IFoo2)
    COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IGoo)
    COM_INTERFACE_ENTRY(IDispatch)
    END_COM_MAP()

Class view will update as soon as we finish the COM map changes.

Adding Methods
    Adding methods is the same as before with one gotcha: Visual Studio doesn't pay attention to the fact that IFoo2 is inherited from IFoo, so it will, by default, generate a dispatch ID of 1. You can change this as you declare the method by clicking the Attributes button in the wizard, or you can change the IDL by hand later. If you don't change it, you'll get the following incredibly helpful error message:

midl\oleaut32.dll : error MIDL2020 : error generating type library :
    AddImplType failed : MultiInterface

Nice, huh? As soon as you avoid ID collision by changing Func3's ID to something other than 1 or 2, the error will go away."

Jase

www.slideshowdesktop.com
    View your images and photos on your desktop with ease using SlideShow Desktop, the desktop wallpaper manager for Microsoft Windows.

Re: error MIDL2020 : error generating type library : SaveAllChanges Failed

Another good way to get this message is to have the .tlb file write-protected, as you do when you use a code management tool...