CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    solar, I don't think that this will happen simply because a creature only sees forward and turning costs a game turn. If a creature saw its attacker and tried to run away, that means that it would have to turn and then begin moving. Plus it would never know whether the attacker is still follwing it (as it doesn't have eyes on the back of its head). And it is bound to run into a wall as well.

We'll see with the first round of the competition whether the rules are OK or not and what should be changed.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

Originally posted by Yves M
    solar, I don't think that this will happen simply because a creature only sees forward and turning costs a game turn. If a creature saw its attacker and tried to run away, that means that it would have to turn and then begin moving. Plus it would never know whether the attacker is still follwing it (as it doesn't have eyes on the back of its head). And it is bound to run into a wall as well.

We'll see with the first round of the competition whether the rules are OK or not and what should be changed.
    I agree with the last sentence .

But I'd still like to point out that according to the damage formula, the creature would not necessarily die after a single attack. Once it is attacked for one turn, it could immediately set all its moves to "forward," as it assumes it is being chased for however many turns. The creature usually won't have to turn before it runs, either.

I agree that you should make the initial version with no heed to this issue. Consider this only a prediction of a weakness of the program which can be corrected in version two if necessary.
    SolarFlare

Those who cling to life die and those who defy death live. -Sun Tzu

cout << endl;
    return 0;
    }

Originally posted by solarflare
    In any environment with many characters, such as this, there is bound to be some level of diplomacy. Whether two units decide to share vision, or protect each other, or ambush another unit, or if a unit robs another unit of its food in exchange for sparing its life, etc., there will always be something. It would be a mistake not to include some sort of communication method between units. Perhaps not in the original version, but if possible it should be incorporated.
    It may or may not be a good idea. In the real world, dogs do not communicate with cats and horses. If we see it as a competition in a natural-like environment where each creature represents a species, then communication may not be a good idea.

We were speaking at one stage of having creatures that can breed (for a future version). In this case, it could be an advantage to allow creatures of the same species to communicate. This is something we find much more in nature.

But we could also decide that any creature could communicate with any other as well. It is probably something we wil have to think about for some future versions, but it's probably not needed for any of the first two or three versions, while we will be trying to balance more raw parameters.

At one stage it will be interesting to have a from of communication. Good idea.
    Elrond
    A chess genius is a human being who focuses vast, little-understood mental gifts and labors on an ultimately trivial human enterprise.
    -- George Steiner

Originally posted by Yves M
    Ok, this seems too complicated, so maybe we'll just stick with "seeing" up to two squares in front of the robot, like in the attachment.
    Yes this one is better then the first because the creature will "sense" the environment more than "see" it
    It should know what is around, or in front according to what is decided.

You are giving good suggestions. Thank you.
    I don't agree in your complicated way of counting the power we get from eating and the power we get for resting. I would like the strength of the creature calculated both from what it eats and how long it sleeps.
    I think the same counter should take this into account.
    It would raise of 10 when you harvest. Raise of 1 per turn when you sleep. Lower of let's say 4 when it attacks, and the wounds can be calculated according to each creature's strength. We'll see the rule when we know roughly how much is an average amount of strength, and how much difference there can be between creatures.

Marina
    Please go vote for your country!

can u pls keep me in the loop too???
    i want to participate too.....
    R. Thomas
    "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."Philippians 4:6-7
    "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1Thess. 5:16-18

Originally posted by Joseph_R_Thomas
    can u pls keep me in the loop too???
    i want to participate too.....
    Um... This thread is dead... already for a long time. There were enough members who wanted to participate and there was even some work under code development, but people had enough other work to do and it is seemed that there was not so easy to orginize a sirious work under such project here. May be it was an organization problem (no any organization at all) , may be something else, but now U can see that the last post here was 7 monthes ago.
    "UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"

i got time..i am willing to start....
    can we start it since its dead???
    anyone with me????
    me a novice programmer so dont excpect much thought...
    R. Thomas
    "Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made know to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus."Philippians 4:6-7
    "Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you."1Thess. 5:16-18

anyone with me????
    me a novice programmer so dont excpect much thought...
    Well, in my brief view, this project do not need many programmers... simple beginning version could be done by one-two coders. That what about code development. Another thing is a ideas sharing. Here anyone can give advise. And there were enough different ideas. The main problem is to find enough free time for someone (not a beginner programmer of course) and put all those ideas in a code, but not sharing code development among defferent persons (at least during a first step until the first working version will be done). Of course, this is my 2 cents on the organization side.
    As I remember, Gabriel wrote some code and he was a beginner of this idea. I donot know what about this code now.
    "UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"

so you are saying i should abandon it or should i go on
    ???
    R. Thomas

so you are saying i should abandon it or should i go on
    ???
    If enough people had been interested and had the resources to devote to it, Code War would have been a huge success. But as you see, the reverse determination has been made naturally.
    SolarFlare

Those who cling to life die and those who defy death live. -Sun Tzu

cout << endl;
    return 0;
    }

i want to start it again...i want to make it......
    i want....
    is there anyone else who can gimme a hand..or rather i'll give u a hand since i am not an expert
    tks
    R. Thomas

I have posted a skeleton here: Server and C++ client skeleton code -- BETA
    But it seems that everybody is still on holiday .

In the mean time, I have added some DirectX3D stuff so that you can see the action at server-side. You can also walk in all directions and shoot if another robot is in sight.
    This latest release is not yet posted, since there is no more interest

Kurt
    "GOTO's make your co-workers laugh at you"

i have intrest....
    R. Thomas

I have recently seen a very nice and simple simulation.
    And I want to change my client into the same thing.
    A framework is still a framework,
    so adding a little sense to it, is more fun .

It's basicly like this:
    A client is alive until it is killed by a zombie.
    Then it turns into a zombie also.
    At the end, only zombies wander around .

It shouldn't take much time to implement this.
    So I'll try to do this as soon as possible.

Kurt

PS: Have you had a chance to look at the server I've posted?
    "GOTO's make your co-workers laugh at you"

i cant read yourm file...cannot open workspace....why?
    is it Visual Studio.Net???
    R. Thomas

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast