CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Lightbulb Inputs from Telephone

Hi! Everybody

Say I have a telephone connected to my Computer by modem.Is it possible to detect which telephone key is being pressed through VB application

If yes how can I do that?

Thanks

I doubt that you'll ever be able to do that. But then I could be wrong.

But I really think it's not possible. The telephone cable going from the modem to your telephone is for ANALOG signal.

As far as I'm concerned, that cable never been thought to send Key events to the computer.

The only way I can see to do that is to "listen" on the cable ( thus using the modem interface ) and try to use analog signal sent to the telephone switch to decipher What key was pressed.

That's helluva project if you ask me and it might be impossible to realize.

BUT then my knowledge might be limited on the matter but I'm pretty sure you cannot do what you're hoping to.
    Last edited by Boumxyz2; January 22nd, 2003 at 07:58 AM.
    Nicolas Bohemier

Thanks

Thanks for your reply!
    What I am planing to do is to develope an interective software where in people can interect with the program through telephone. By pressing keys.

And this is very possible. I have seen application like that.
    Yes But I don't know how?
    It works very really. You can capture which key is being pressed.

I have seen application where. if you press 2 key in telephone it comes in the the text box.

Thanks.
    Any more suggestion.

I didn't understand the question then..

I thought you were talking about a telephone plugged in your modem on your computer...

And now you mean a user calls in and you must guess the key he pressed.. That's very different. My bad sorry.
    Nicolas Bohemier

I think it would depend on how your modem handles the tone signal. If it treats it as data, you should be able to read it from the modem buffer. If the modem software treats it as noise and discards it, you might have to reprogram your modem.

From memory, you should be able to give the modem an AT command to tell it to pass everything through.

There may even be some sort of 3rd party modem driver that you can grab that will let you do this.

Did you get this going?

Did you get this going?

Regards,
    Mark.

- You can use KD tele tools from www.kaed.com. This can work with voice modem or other TAPI compliance hardware
    - If you plan to develop it yourself then learn TAPI 3.0 (available since Win2000 as COM library, find it under project reference named 'Microsoft TAPI 3.0 Type Library'). It also needs at least a voice modem.
    - if you're willing to buy additional hardware (Voice card), you can check Dialogic product lines from Intel (comes with C++ API and samples). The simplest one is D41 PCI card.