CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is the disk volume info different?

I use GetVolumeInformation() to get disk volume informayion, If i format my disk and re-install system, does GetVolumeInformation() return different info from previous ones?
    If i am senseless and i could answer your question, i will.

Yes...depending on how you re-format it...

The file system might change, the name of the volume might change...

GetVolumeInformation will only return current information. If the current information is the same as previous information then it will of course return previous information but it would do that only coincidentally.
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

Which data could be valid information after the disk is reformatted (The size of each volume is the same as before)?
    Any API or source code is very helpful.

Originally posted by aixing
    Which data could be valid information after the disk is reformatted (The size of each volume is the same as before)?
    Any API or source code is very helpful.
    Which data do you suspect might not be valid information after the disk is reformatted? Why do you suspect any data might not be valid after the disk is reformatted?
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

I want to retrieve some system information (such as hard disk data) to protect my application in the customer's machine.
    But if he re-formatted hard disk, the data I got before will be unuseful.
    Any suggestion?

What you are talking about is often called "copy protection". That is, as programmers we want to prevent people from using our software without paying for it. It is a very old problem. It gets discussed in this forum somewhat often also. There is not an easy solution to the problem. For example Windows XP does that kind of thing except it is much more complex about what it does. It is not my intent to say that it should not be done. You should attempt to protect your work as much as you can and as much as you want to. I am just saying that there is not an easy solution. The only thing we can say for sure is that we must depend on the honesty of enough people to be assured of getting the compensation (money) we deserve.

There are many people in the world frustrated about the Chinese government and governments such as it that are so tolerant of illegal copying of many things, including movie videos and computer software. The world will be such a wonderful place when more people of the world can afford to pay for such things.
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

Originally posted by Sam Hobbs
    The only thing we can say for sure is that we must depend on the honesty of enough people to be assured of getting the compensation (money) we deserve.
    ya.. This is good as you can consider all the people have such honesty. If a 'pirate', i an not trying to defend it here, sells much cheaper than a legal copy, in order to save our money we surely choose the pirate one though it's not a good behavior if the whole influences is considered. This is ONLY individual behavior.

There are many people in the world frustrated about the Chinese government and governments such as it that are so tolerant of illegal copying of many things, including movie videos and computer software. The world will be such a wonderful place when more people of the world can afford to pay for such things.
    As i know, Chinese goverment is trying his best to clear the illegal copying but not tolerating.

Originally posted by wuyh
    As i know, Chinese goverment is trying his best to clear the illegal copying but not tolerating.
    You are someone that should know much better than I do and I hope that is what is happening; that is, that the government is trying.
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor