CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need Help in Understanding HOWTO Write UNICODE String to a File

How do I write to a file using UNICODE. I have searched the archives with no real answers. What do I need to do first, second and third.

I know how to use var.WriteString("whatever");

What are the parameters do I use to open a file to write?
    Do I do it this way:
    Code:
    sConfFile.Open((CString)m_sConfigFile,CFile::modeCreate|CFile::modeNoTruncate|CFile::modeWrite);
    or is there another way.

I am still learning this VC++ stuff so I am new to a lot of things.

Thanks in advance

Mike@spb

I don't know much either about Unicode, but it seems that you should use the _T prefix for your string ...

You need to decide how to store your Unicode string. You can store it in UTF-16, or double byte. In this case, you can either use wide versions of the file writer methods, or write your strings out as raw data. (Your data length would be [wcslen(str) * sizeof(WCHAR)]). You can also convert your strings to MBCS, in which case you can use the A2W macro from ATL, or manually use WideCharToMultibyte(). Personally, I prefer writing the data out in UTF-8.

Obviously, you need to read your data back the same way you wrote it out.
    Henri Hein
    Principal Engineer, Propel
    Do not credit Propel with my views or opinions.

OK, now I'm confused. When I try to open the original file the first line looks like this in unicode:
    Code:
     [][][][][]<[]p[]r[]o[]f[]i[]l[]e[][]v[]e[]r[]s[]i[]o[]n[]=[]"[]4[]5[]8[]7[]5[]2[]"[]
    The "brackets" are actually squares when I read the file using wordpad or word.

When I do a test to try in duplicating this file it is written out as text. Here is what I have

Code:
    #deine _UNICODE
    CFile sTest;
    CString sfile = "C:\\test.prx";

sTest.Open(sfile, CFile::modeCreate|CFile::modeWrite);
    CString str = _T("\"is is some test\"");
    sTest.Write(str, (str.GetLength()+1) * sizeof(TCHAR));
    sTest.Close();
    The result of the output to the file is "This is some test"[] instead of []"[]T[]h[]i[]s[] []i[]s[] []s[]o[]m[]e[] []t[]e[]s[]t[]"[] .

What am I doing wrong?

Mike@spb

Hi Mike,
    You are not doing anything wrong. What you see is correct and that IS unicode text. It is a 16-bit character. In usual case, the first 8 bit contains the ascii code for the character and the second 8 bits are 0. That's the reason why you see the [] symbol if your viewer program does not support unicode strings. My notepad is Win2K supports unicode strings and I can view the string properly.

Hope this makes you clear!

More questions. When I use the sample, as you describe as being correct. It seems to be in UNICODE; however, the application that reads this UNICODE file does not recognize it. If I save the file as a Unicode Text Document in Wordpad, the application then is able to see the unicode file. The applicaiton I am referring to is the Windows Media Encoder. The profiles it uses are in UNICODE text.

If I am writing in UTF-16, maybe I should be writing it out in UTF-8. What do I need to change to write to UTF-8 so I can see if the Windows Media Encoder recognizes the profile written in UTF-8?

Examples would help.

Mike@spb