Internet Explorer problem
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Internet Explorer problem

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Internet Explorer problem

I tried finding an answer on the internet but couldn't find anything so I'm hoping someone here might be able to help...

I regularly need to download files with the extension .aaf or .omf. These are audiovisual archive formats - a bit like zip files. So if I click on a link to one of them, Internet Explorer asks me where I want to download it to (i.e. I need to nominate a folder to save the file in).

This still works okay for aaf files - but for omf files, IE has suddenly got it into its head that they're readable document files. So instead of asking me to save the file somewhere, IE opens it directly and displays its contents (as if it was a pdf file, say).

Does anyone know how to change this? How can I tell IE that an omf file needs to be saved somewhere, rather than getting opened?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved. - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Internet Explorer problem

I suspect that this is because the default action for .omf files has been set somehow. In Explorer (not Internet), select any file with that extension. Right click it and choose Open With. Near the bottom of the dialogue, you should see a tick box to always use the selected program. Make sure this is not ticked.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on.
    C, C++ Compiler: Microsoft VS2015

Thanks for the suggestion 2kaud. I couldn't find those options you mentioned - but if I double-click on an OMF file, Windows pops up a dialog, looking like this:-

Name:  open-dialog.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  24.2 KB

(which is exactly the same dialog I see for an AAF file). What this tells me is that locally hosted OMF files are doing what I'd expect. The problem only happens for a hyperlink to some remotely hosted OMF file.

I tried attaching a sample OMF file here so people could test it - but it seems like only certain extensions are allowed (txt / pdf / zip) etc.

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

View source on the web page offering the link. Are there any differences in the link between the aaf links and the omf links? Code type? Meme type?

Hi Arjay. The link needn't be coming from a web page. It can be in an email or some local document etc (I assume you did mean the link, rather than the file it's pointing to?)

Arjay is offline Moderator / MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Hi Arjay. The link needn't be coming from a web page. It can be in an email or some local document etc (I assume you did mean the link, rather than the file it's pointing to?)
    I did mean a web page link, but if you are talking about saving/opening a file outside of IE, then that's a whole different animal. Outside of IE, the explorer file association comes into play as 2kaud mentioned. Since you are seeing the incorrect behavior from clicking on non-local files, have you looked at remote file access policies. Are you part of a network? If so are there restrictions to opening files from the network? The share that these files are located, do they have 'view directory contents' access, but not read or execute permissions?