CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 43 of 159 FirstFirst ... 33404142434445465393143 ... LastLast
    Maryland ranked 13th in the coaches poll for college football, that's kinda impressive, considering we gave you boomer....

I am back from 22 days on site. I am exhausted. I had to write tons of new code and test it out on a system capable of generating 240,000 pounds of force with the one and only test speciman installed. If I broke it, I was screwed. Happy to say I got it working and the test ran succesfully. The NSF was satisfied and the client is left stinking like a rose. Translation: The client gets lots of money. Subtranslation: We get money (I think that is the goal anyway).

It is very nerve racking when you are writing code and tuning a system which has the potential to cause huge monitary loss and even death.
    Last edited by souldog; August 3rd, 2003 at 04:09 PM.
    Wakeup in the morning and kick the day in the teeth!! Or something like that.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

that's why I stick to cin>>'hello world';
    or is it cout>>"hello, world":
    I can't quite remember...
    SolarFlare

Those who cling to life die and those who defy death live. -Sun Tzu

cout << endl;
    return 0;
    }

Originally posted by souldog
    I am back from 22 days on site. I am exhausted. I had to write tons of new code and test it out on a system capable of generating 240,000 pounds of force with the one and only test speciman installed. If I broke it, I was screwed. Happy to say I got it working and the test ran succesfully. The NSF was satisfied and the client is left stinking like a rose. Translation: The client gets lots of money. Subtranslation: We get money (I think that is the goal anyway).

It is very nerve racking when you are writing code and tuning a system which has the potential to cause huge monitary loss and even death.
    That smells of a pay raise or at least a bonus, considering the amount of time I believe you put into the project....

You would think so, huh... Have to wait a while on that one I think. Job still is not completely done. Nice to chat with you again Mick.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

You would think so, huh... Have to wait a while on that one I think. Job still is not completely done. Nice to chat with you again Mick.
    Yea I kinda wondered where you went, but I did figure it had something to do with your project ending or some such, or vacation Ahh vacation...why do companies force you to take it? Can't they like just pay you? Seems silly, I mean don't get me wrong, I like to take a day here or there, but if I'm left with a use or loss 1 or 2 weeks, why not just pump me the dough in my pay check...ahh well enough of this boring talk..

Hmm this is only boring because 2nd and 3rd stringers are gonna be playing, but err umm, tonight Monday Night Football is on. And so starts another season of tuesday morning hangovers....

Hey souldog, it's nice to see you popping in and out my reality tunnel again. I had figured you were out there working on resolving that horrible code-wipe you mentioned in some universe far away. Maybe some of the money can be used to get you a code repository to keep your source nice and tidy, but probably some of it will be needed to buy some relief from the anxiety residues that always haunt us after completing major projects. I suggest Belize...
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

How did we get up to sixty-four boring pages. I can barely pronounce that number. Sokzdythor. That's it, I'm unsubscribing to the thread.
    SolarFlare

Those who cling to life die and those who defy death live. -Sun Tzu

cout << endl;
    return 0;
    }

Originally posted by galathaea
    Hey souldog, it's nice to see you popping in and out my reality tunnel again. I had figured you were out there working on resolving that horrible code-wipe you mentioned in some universe far away. Maybe some of the money can be used to get you a code repository to keep your source nice and tidy, but probably some of it will be needed to buy some relief from the anxiety residues that always haunt us after completing major projects. I suggest Belize...
    Hey Galathaea, nice to hear from you. Unfortunately what I just completed is just a milestone. There are still several months left in software development and several other clients (The software is only part of the picture). I am also happy to say that we are moving to Linux on the computer that actually controls or electronic boards. We are finally going real time. (I wanted to do this some time ago). So now I have to learn to program in linux and learn a whole new IDE. Time to rewrite all the driver level code as well as some of the socket stuff. I will give myself two weeks .
    How is your project going? Have you moved to England yet?

Hey want to know the worst thing about loosing my code. I called the company that produced that code and they were not suprised. "Yah, that would happen". Someone tell me if it is "usual" when allocating virtual memory to have it wipe out source code files when operating in debug mode. I think not...
    I just threw away all but the simplest calls to their library (I had to use some of it to access their drivers for a data acquisition board) and wrote my own stuff.
    Last edited by souldog; August 5th, 2003 at 02:55 PM.

I am also happy to say that we are moving to Linux on the computer that actually controls or electronic boards. We are finally going real time. (I wanted to do this some time ago). So now I have to learn to program in linux and learn a whole new IDE. Time to rewrite all the driver level code as well as some of the socket stuff. I will give myself two weeks .
    Hey, nice to hear that U will use a Linux platform
    There are enough online e-books for Linux programming... I have even some guide for Linux driver developers... If U need it I can post it to U
    "UNIX is simple; it just takes a genius to understand its simplicity!"

How does everybody pronounce Linux?

1)Is the I pronounced as eye or guide?
    2)Is the I pronouced as in tip or witness?

Being from the midwest I want it to be 1. It just feels better.

2 sounds "tinny". We need more "woody" words....(see Monty Python).

"Oh, you say potayto and I say potahto.
    You say tomayto and I say tomahto.
    Potayto, Potahto, Tomayto, Tomahto
    Well let's call the whole thing off...."

Ira Gershwin
    Verere testudinem! (Fear the turtle)

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

Robots are trying to steal my luggage.

Originally posted by dimm_coder
    Hey, nice to hear that U will use a Linux platform
    There are enough online e-books for Linux programming... I have even some guide for Linux driver developers... If U need it I can post it to U
    That woud be great. I will PM my e-mail address.

How is your project going? Have you moved to England yet?
    Aha! A perfect discussion point for this thread!

No. Not yet. It seems one of the lawyers decided to take a vacation in the middle of final negotiations, so the paperwork got stalled. But the papers have passed through the investor's lawyers, and I hear they just passed through our lawyers last week and all accounts say there is nothing really surprising about what is inside the final product. So now the last step is to have someone on our side (I think the new CEO, but I'm not really in the loop on this) sign them, which is supposed to happen yesterday (guess that didn't happen), today, or tomorrow. From what I've heard, the funds will then immediately be transferred and off we go! However, my boss, who has been through these investor things way to many times for sanity to be completely preserved, has told me and the other lead programmer to wait until the money is in the bank before we pack (to be absolutely sure -- and not to "jinx" anything), so I still will probably be here a few more weeks getting ready for the move.

Until then, things are quite.... boring.
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Page 43 of 159 FirstFirst ... 33404142434445465393143 ... LastLast