dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: error "[ADODC] - Unknown error [ADO]

error "[ADODC] - Unknown error [ADO]

I've created a program that used an Access 2000 database and ADO controls. It works perfectly well on my machine, and any others that have Access 2000 installed. Problem is, not everyone here has Access 2000 - theres still alot on 97. When someone with 97 tries to run my program, it first displays an error "[ADODC] - Unknown error [ADO]" and after clicking OK displays another error "Run-Time error '429'. ActiveX component can't create object". It then rus the program, but nothing works (and I mean nothing - not even the exit button).

I guessed that it was because the database was an invalid version, so I tried to open it in Access 97 and sure enough it wouldn't work. I then saved it as a prior version on my machine, and using Access 97 i could then open the database. It still works fine on any machine with Access 2000, but same error with Access 97.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with .dll's but I have no idea where to start looking.

Any ideas??

Re: error "[ADODC] - Unknown error [ADO]

If you install the latest MDAC on the computers with access 97 it should work.
    There is a download on the microsoft site.
    You could also use the Package & Depoyment wizard to package your files up. The setup would package up the nessary dlls required by your program.

David Paulson

Be sure to replace the version of MDAC that comes with Package and Deployment wizard. The version that comes with VB is 2.1, right now, we have version 2.7 out. I think your ADODC control will a newere version on ADO. You can download it from http://msdn.microsoft.com. To replace the file that ships with Package and Deployment wizard, do following steps.
    Download the installation file from the web (should be called MDAC_TYPE27.EXE or something. Rename that to MDAC_TYPE. Somewhere in your VB folder (Program files\devstudio for VB5, Program files\Microsoft Visual studio for VB6) there's a file called MDAC_TYPE.EXE, normally in a folder called redist. You will need to replace this file with the one you downloaded. Then (re)create and installation package and install it on the client.

Tom Cannaerts
    slisse@planetinternet.be

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning -- Rich Cook
    Tom Cannaerts
    email: cakkie@cakkie.be.remove.this.bit
    www.tom.be (dutch site)

Ok That worked great but I have to physically run the MDAC_TYP.EXE file on any computers where this error occurs. Is there any way I can get around this? i.e. Add the .dll's to the setup program, or automatically run the MDAC_TYP.EXE file if needed. Problem is I need to distribute this to a couple of hundred ppl all running different systems, half of which will get this error and half of which won't. And only a quarter of these will read any instructions I give them on installing it so I want to try to automate it as much as possible (we only have one person on help desk).

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

If you replacezd the other mdac_type.exe on the machine (in the redist folder), and recreate the setup package, it should be included and run automatically from the setup.

Tom Cannaerts
    slisse@planetinternet.be

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning -- Rich Cook
    Tom Cannaerts
    email: cakkie@cakkie.be.remove.this.bit
    www.tom.be (dutch site)