dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Runtime error: 50003

Runtime error: 50003

Did anyone encounter this error "Runtime error:50003 Unexpected error" before ???
    I can't load the form and it prompted this error.
    There is no problem on my development machine, but is occurred on users' machines after I deployed the exe file.

Re: Runtime error: 50003

Once in my developer life I had it. It seemed it was corrupted some dll. If you have already tried to rebuild the setup package and deploy it again (making sure in your "project properties" or "Make" window you have uncheched the box where it says "remove information about unused activex", it may be some (one or more) dll or component is incopmpatible with client OS. You sure you have the same or simnilar OS? You sure you have a servicePack for Vb (or for Visual Studio) installed (at least servicepak 4)?
    Hope this may help.

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Tom Archer, Chris Eastwood, TCartwright, Bruno Paris, Dr_Michael
    and all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.
    Come back soon, you Gurus.

The Rater
    ...at present time, using mainly Net 4.0, Vs 2010

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and
    all the other wonderful people who made and make Codeguru a great place.

More (possible) hints:
    Error message boxes saying "Unexpected error" or "Error 50003" may be symptoms of an incorrect version of the common controls being registered. Microsoft have issued at least 4 versions of comctl32.ocx and 2 of comdlg32.ocx, comct232.ocx and comct332.ocx. All the versions of each component have the same GUID but they are not compatible. This breaks the rules of COM but Microsoft allow themselves to break their own rules.
    A compiled VB program will work with the set of controls it was compiled with or later versions. However, programs compiled with a newer issue of one of these OCXs will not run if an older one is registered.

Hint #2:
    If you are using VB5 and having images on your form (gifs), take a look on MSDN article here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q194/4/14.ASP

Hope this helps

Sead

<Excelent!>
    (I am out of votes for today!)

;-)

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Tom Archer, Chris Eastwood, TCartwright, Bruno Paris, Dr_Michael

The Rater

Special thanks to Lothar "the Great" Haensler, Chris Eastwood , dr_Michael, ClearCode, Iouri and

I think it is right that my comctl32.ocx is not compatible with my users'. But I have tried to unregister the comctl32.ocx "regsvr32 -u comctl32.ocx" and register it again. Though it said it is succesfully registered, I don't think it is effective.
    More, if I tried to check it in the VB components, it said the "comctl32.ocx could not be loaded." I can't find a way to add this component back to my VB project. Can u help ??

Remove the old from your porject and add it again.
    Before doing this, make a copy of your prokject, not to loose code...
    You can even open your project and, at question "...could not be loaded.Continue loading project?" answer yes, then go to see forms where it was,first go in code and comment all subs related to it, then remove the control from form if you find (it may have a strange design), and then add a new control, naming it the same as old one and de-comment the lines of code.

The Rater

I found this URL helpfull when I had similar problems as you have now. Check it out, maybe it will be of some help to you too ...
    http://www.angelfire.com/biz/rhaminisys/vboledll.html

Good luck !
    :-)

Sead