Soap!
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Soap!

Soap!

More Articles about SOAP would be awesome, and not VB articles either.

Maybe some good articles that go beyond the basic stuff like web references.

Articles with some code to consume SOAP services and do something usefull in a client application would be really cool.

Not VB? How about from a C# application?

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones, CodeGuru.com Site Director
    Developer.com Network Director / EiC

webmaster@codeguru.com
    (My Latest Book)

How about not .NET stuff at all ? No C#, No VB.NET, maybe some regular C++, MFC, WTL, something like that... ?? Some good ATL server articles would be nice, but what I'd really like to see is some SOAP used on the client side.

I can understand people wanting to see more information using non-Microsoft specific implementations (e.g. STL)....

But I am really curious about the aversions to the newer Microsoft technologies, and the desired to stay with older (obsolete?) technologies like MFC.....

Just my 1.5 cents...
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and paractice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions
    * How NOT to post a question here
    * Of course you read this carefully before you posted
    * Need homework help? Read this first

Originally posted by TheCPUWizard
    ...older (obsolete?) technologies like MFC.....
    (off topic, but...)

Microsoft is still supporting and adding to MFC -- even in VS 2005.

Brad!

webmaster@codeguru.com
    (My Latest Book)

Originally posted by TheCPUWizard
    I can understand people wanting to see more information using non-Microsoft specific implementations (e.g. STL)....

But I am really curious about the aversions to the newer Microsoft technologies, and the desired to stay with older (obsolete?) technologies like MFC.....

Just my 1.5 cents...
    I'm not averse to .NET, its just the internet is overrun with .NET articles anyway. And lets face it, .NET is not exactly the most challenging technology to begin with.

For what its worth, there are still a lot of applications being written ( or maintained/enhanced ) in MFC or plain Win32 for that matter. Personally, I'm really fond of WTL, but thats beside the point.

I desire to use the technologies my employer pays me to use. If thats .NET, I'm fine with it, but there is a lot of applications and situations that do not call for and will never use .NET, so there could be a lot of room for good non .NET articles.

But back to the request for articles:

SOAP please.

XML please.

Thank you.

Originally posted by dissimulater
    Try soap.org

-d
    ahoodin,

This forum is for article ideas for CodeGuru.

I'm not sure why you created a new account to post the above reference rather than using your existing account.

Brad!

webmaster@codeguru.com
    (My Latest Book)

Mutilated1. A couple of points and questions:

And lets face it, .NET is not exactly the most challenging technology to begin with.
    I completele disagree with this statement. Why .Net has made is fairly trivial for almost anyone to create a simple program that "works", choosing the proper architecture/implementations for large scale distributed applications using .Net is probably the most challenging single technology ever presented.

For what its worth, there are still a lot of applications being written ( or maintained/enhanced ) in MFC or plain Win32 for that matter.
    I agree Maintenance/Enhancements will be around for years (decades?). Up until 2001 my firm was supporting a COBOL program that was originally written in the late 1960s for one of our clients.

Personally, I'm really fond of WTL
    As am I....

I desire to use the technologies my employer pays me to use.
    Of course this is true. But (for most people) it is also a good idea to keep one's skill sets up in marketable areas. Few employments last forever [Although I have run Dynamic Concepts for over 20 years]. I am NOT saying that .NET /CLR is going to be THE technology of the future, but non-MS implementations are starting to grow which bodes well for the technology

so there could be a lot of room for good non .NET articles.
    Again I agree. Now comes my question...

Articles can be written at many different levels from overviews (there are lots of them), strategic/executive analysis [does not see overly appropriate to CodeGuru], architectural/design ramifications (what my company specializes in), to specific implementations.

Could you provide a little more detail on the type of arcticle you are looking for?
    TheCPUWizard is a registered trademark, all rights reserved. (If this post was helpful, please RATE it!)
    2008, 2009
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and paractice; in practice there is.

* Join the fight, refuse to respond to posts that contain code outside of [code] ... [/code] tags. See here for instructions

architectural/design ramifications (what my company specializes in), to specific implementations.
    These levels are what I'd like to see and what I'm suggesting to people.

Brad!

webmaster@codeguru.com
    (My Latest Book)

Brad <--

In general what are the suggested lengths for CodGuru arcticles?

Is there a FAQ for potential authors?

Why most of the documentation I create for clients is under strict NDA, I probably have enough material to put together a few articles on this and/or other topics.

Feel free to contact me privately.
    2008, 2009

We have a rough page that describes using the online submission forms at:

http://www.codeguru.com/submission-guidelines.php

Additionally, there are some guidelines regarding writing about 1/3 of the way down that page. Be aware that these are aimed at the average person submitting a code-based item rather than a more standard format for an article.

If you are writing a more normal style article, then page length is completely open. It is more important to cover a topic and be relatively concise than to worry about specific length. If you are covering more than one topic, the separate articles are often best. You can submit these through our online system or send them to submit@codeguru.com.

This is a short answer. If you have additional questions, let me know here or email me at webmaster@codeguru.com.

webmaster@codeguru.com
    (My Latest Book)

[QUOTE]
    ahoodin,

This forum is for article ideas for CodeGuru.

I'm not sure why you created a new account to post the above reference rather than using your existing account.

Brad!
    [QUOTE]

Sorry Brad, couldnt log on to codeguru this morning. Now all my account data is wiped out. For some reason my account is working today. For any ill appearances of that new account I apologize.

I have the same opinion as the starter of this issue. I believe the C# and .Net should not be dominating codeguru the way that it appears to be. Perhaps we can make a seperate main page on this site for C# and .net. Honestly many C++ coders dont necessarily find that stuff interesting.

Would it be possible to keep the C# articles and the .NET (VB too) articles on seperate pages entirely from the MFC and C++? Seems liike it would not be so hard to accomplish. There is still C++ talent on this site, lets not push it off to the side.

-ahoodin

There are actually four pages that people can choose to start from (outside of the forums).

The main page is www.codeguru.com. It contains all postings and some of the key columns (but not all of the columns). At the bottom the forum tables contain info from all topics in the forums.

There are then three index pages for specific topic areas. These are for VC++/C++, C#/.NET, and VB. If you don't care about the .NET and VB stuff, then start at the VC++/C++ subject. You can get to these by clicking on the primary button on the navbar on the left of the main pages( www.codeguru.com). Alternatively, you can go straight to them:

www.codeguru.com/Cpp (note capital C)
    www.codeguru.com/vb
    www.codeguru.com/Csharp (note capital C)

These pages are customized to the specific topic for the most part. The top articles are based on the areas versus the entire site. The forum post lists at the bottom are also specific to the topic. The Announcements and other items are also listed on these pages. Columns that are not related to the topic area are not listed.

Sooooo, it sounds like you would want to set www.codeguru.com/Cpp as your starting page.

Brad!

webmaster@codeguru.com
    (My Latest Book)

Unhappy

uh oooops!

looks like when it rains it pours.

-a

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast