CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: VB6 and UNICODE

VB6 and UNICODE

Hi,

I would like to know if there is anything I need to do to make my VB6 application UNICODE enabled. For example I am developing in Windows 2k and I have Russian text in an Excel worksheet. If I copy the Russian text to the clipboard I can Paste that text into Notepad or Word ... but if I try to paste that text into my VB application the chararcters are lost ... ??? marks are shown. Can anybody give me any guidance.

Thanks,
    Rob Panosh
    Advanced Software Designs
    St. Louis, MO

Re: VB6 and UNICODE

Rob,

Your name caught my eye... looks like we both are VBing instead of VOing these days! Too bad I guess, although I guess theirs hope with .NET... <G> Don't know if you remember me or not, but used to work with Dean R. at MDC before he came to work with you guys. We met in New Orleans at the big CA shin-dig. I know Dean's not there anymore, but how's Dave doing? (If you use "Send Private" to reply I'll send you a better email address...)

Darrell Jungmeyer

In reply to your question... VB uses Unicode, so I don't think that is the issue, I think it might be a code-page or "Locale" issue. Somebody here will have an answer.

Do you copy the Text into the VB Module Editor? This little thingy does not support Unicode directly. You will have to convert Unicode to ANSI Two-Byte Characters with StrConv in Excel VBA. Then you will be able to Paste this into your Code. Don't forget to convert them back to Unicode with StrConv in VB.

If you try to Paste Unicode into a TextBox in Runtime, it could be that you use wrong Controls. Try to Add "Microsoft Forms 2.0 Object Library" - Component (Project Menu/Components) and use these Controls.