dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: How to get CURRENT Sub/Function Name

How to get CURRENT Sub/Function Name

hi gurus,

is there any ways to find CURRENT sub/function name,

we can get CURRENT form name by Me.name, in the same ways how can we get current sub/function name

I don't think this is possibele unless you insert global variables that you update with names during function/sub calls.
    Marketing our skills - please participate in the survey and share your insights
    -

Well, I don't think it would be possible.. If so, I don't think it would be easier than declaring a global string variable that will identify the name of the routine for the program..
    Busy

As has already been said, you cannot do this. The main reason of course is that your source code is compiled into the application and the actual function names are not necessarily preserved in any form that can be recognised.

You either have to set a global variable or property at the start of each function/sub or do without I am afraid.
    TimCottee
    I know a little about a lot of things and a lot about very little.

Brainbench MVP For Visual Basic
    http://www.brainbench.com

MCP, MCSD, MCDBA, CPIM

Originally posted by TimCottee
    ... The main reason of course is that your source code is compiled into the application and the actual function names are not necessarily preserved in any form that can be recognised. ...
    Hi Tim,

It seems to be that this is not totally the case. There is a function called CallByName. This means, there must something that is preserved during compilation.

I don't know, I have not used that function. I just read it here.
    Anyone?
    Marketing our skills - please participate in the survey and share your insights
    -

Indeed callbyname exists but remember that this is also compiled. I am not saying that a function / sub name is totally destroyed but you cannot necessarily expect that it is preserved in the compiled executable as a string. These references may be converted to some intermediate reference or even to a memory address or pointer in the compiled code. CallByName will still work because the compiled reference is still consistent but only within the compiled code.

Now that may be a simplification as I am no expert on compilation or compiled code but it is definite that there is no simple way to return the name of the current sub/function at runtime unless you do so manually.
    TimCottee
    I know a little about a lot of things and a lot about very little.

Brainbench MVP For Visual Basic
    http://www.brainbench.com

MCP, MCSD, MCDBA, CPIM

Not yet implemented in VB.. The fact on the CallByName is that it requires the Object placeholder of the routine and is not applicable with the Standard Module..
    Busy