CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

NullPointException

I'm having a client who tries to view pages, they receive "Exception:java.lang.NullPointException". This client is just tring to view pages, not tring to code. Can anybody give me some suggestions to fix the problem?
    Eric

You're going to have to bee more specific than that. What kind of pages html, php, asp, jsp . . .
    Juan

Sleep now,
    Let's play tomorrow
    Goodnight

Assuming they are webpages, it would be .html. Would it be different if it was perhaps .jsp?
    Eric

Originally posted by ECross
    Assuming they are webpages, it would be .html. Would it be different if it was perhaps .jsp?
    Only if you care about details like whether the error happens at the server end or at the client.

Of course, to have any chance of guessing what the problem is, one would have to know the exact error message, and the sorcecode of the script that causes the problem. And exactly what tools were used to produce the error message.
    Last edited by khp; July 31st, 2003 at 06:00 PM.

Of course, to have any chance of guessing what the problem is, one would have to know the exact error message, and the sorcecode of the script that causes the problem.
    That would be impossible to show the source code since this isn't something the client had done. They're just viewing pages and surfing the Internet, not programming.

Could you give some possiblities and how to fix the problem? This isn't a webpage that the client had done such either so I cannot give you such info.

Would this just be bad programming? Would updating Java fix the problem? Why would it make any difference if it was with a file extension was .php, .jsp, or asp? If so, can you give such possiblities?
    Eric

If the problem is caused by a php jsp or asp script, it's a server side problem. Which of course, you can't possible fix if you don't have full control of the server. The proper way to deal with such problems would be to report it to the site administrators.

On the other hand if it's a client side problem it might be a problem with the browser or a problem with javascripts or applets used by the site.

But again the info you have provided is hopelessly insufficient to make any kind of guess either way. Like What browsers were used on what platfroms to visit what sites.
    Last edited by khp; July 31st, 2003 at 07:20 PM.

For what I understand from the Error Code, I guess, there is a java program is having a null value situation. It is a tough bug to trace.

For Example
    String inStr = null;
    inStr.trim() ---> This will cause a Exception:java.lang.NullPointException

Advise:
    Check on the Java code that is used by the webpages - which java pgm is being called by the webpages. Check on the values for the variable and subsequent function that uses the variable like the example I had illustrated.
    --------------------------------------------
    Stephen WKH
    --------------------------------------------
    Love yourself is the beginning of Loving the World