CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Need "File Compare Algorithm" help

I'm racking my brain trying to think of a simple yet efficient way to do the following... I have two files to compare, a C file and a T file. The C file is an ASCII file and the T file is a binary file. Both contain "n" amount of "System" elements and each system can contain "n" "Node" elements, kind of like a tree structure. The C file is handed to me and is used as the basis for constructing a T file. A System & a Node can only be added to a T file if it's in the C file and can only be deleted from a T file if it's no longer in the C file. With me so far? So I need to compare these two files and I'm trying to figure out how. Here's what I have so far...

1) Read in the C file, store the Systems & Nodes in a vector and do the same for the T file. Compare the vectors and make additions & deletions based on this... seems like the additons & deletions wil be LOTS of overhead...

2) Write a bool function to search for Systems & Nodes in a T file based on what's in the C file. Make additions & deletions based on this...

3) Parse the T file and for every System & Node I find, parse the C file to see if it exists...almost like in #2 above but use the T file to search in the C file...

None of these seem like a "great" idea but I've never compared two files so I'm trying to not make more work for myself nor screw it up! Any ideas....?

Thanks for reading my post...!

why not create a node class.

for each node and read in all the elements from both files.

then overload the = operator and run some comparison algorithms from any college textbook as if you were comparing 2 arrays of integers.

This way you could apply alot of common algorithms to your problem.

ahoodin

Originally posted by ahoodin
    why not create a node class.

for each node and read in all the elements from both files.

then overload the = operator and run some comparison algorithms from any college textbook as if you were comparing 2 arrays of integers.

This way you could apply alot of common algorithms to your problem.

ahoodin
    That's kinda lke I was thinking about in the #1 scenario in my first post...except I'd have a vector of System structs that are built when the files are read in.... The only problem I found with that so far is say, System #22 exists in both C & T files BUT in the C file it had 10 Nodes and in the T file it has 9 Nodes... I'll have to add just a Node to an existing System in the T file and I'll have the added overhead of finding it int he T file because all I have are vectors full of System and Nodes "copies" and not the actual object....
    Last edited by Thresher; August 28th, 2003 at 10:03 AM.

One solution is is recursion. Read both files in binary mode. The C file will be the key. THe dispatch function first determines the attribute of the C file and dispatches it to either the system element check or node check. Work from there.

Kuphryn