dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: working for vbip.com and not for allwayscollection.com

working for vbip.com and not for allwayscollection.com

can any one help me out for why if we mention the IP Address of few websites in the Address bar of the browser is not working. for e.g it is working for vbip.com(http://216.87.2.215/) and codeguru.com(http://63.236.73.79/) but not for worldtamilmusic.com(http://65.61.216.83/)

This really depends on the website. For example, some of the website I own, are co-located on my home Apache webserver. There is one website that is designated as the "default" site. If you were to put in the IP address of my webserver, you would get this default site. However, since apache use a "name Based" re-direction, if you were to put in the www.aaaa.com site, apache feeds you the appropriate website info. This would be my guess as to what is going on here.

Hope this helps.
    Roger

hi sotoasty,
    thanks for your reply. i could not clearly catch what u meant. but i assume this and writting.as u said that its refering the default page and so i get a different page than what i expect. but i'av not refered the main page rather i'm taking a file thats some were located via the server. so i replace the servername by its ip address. am i right. pleas help me.

Let's see if I can explain this a little better. I have several domain names.

www.rogerad.com
    www.vbnotes.com

and several others.

I currently have a DSL line with a dynamic IP address. I have my DNS set up to point these domain names to my IP Address. The Current IP address is....
    65.41.226.132 (this is subject to change at the whim or my ISP).

My Web server (Apache) is set up to translate the headers sent by the browser, and retrieve and send out the correct file. For Example, if you type in
    www.rogerad.com in your browser, a request will get sent to my web server. My web server sees the name "www.rogerad.com" and pulls the index.html file from the "rogerad" folder on my webserver.

If you type in www.vbnotes.com, the webserver will pull the index.php file from the vbnotes folder on my webserver.

If you put in my IP address (65.41.226.132) it will pull up my default website. In this case it is www.vbnotes.com

I would assume that the server that serves worldtamilmusic.com is hosting more than one website and that worldtamilmusic.com is NOT the default site. So when you are trying to use the IP address, it is actually pulling from a different folder than the one you need. I hope this makes some sense and I have explained it enough for you to understand.

Good Luck
    Roger