CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Error: Activex component can't create object after running setup

I used ADO 2.1 in my project. After running setup in some OS like Windows98. There is error message "Run time error '429' Activex component can't create object". Is it required to install 'mdac_typ.exe'. Can it be install automatically through my setup. I am using 'Wise Installer Version 3'.

Please help me.

Re: Error: Activex component can't create object after running setup

Yes, it is required to have data components installed if you're about to use them. So, is you want to install MDAC by your app you should check before if it's already installed.

You can check for MDAC.
    I can send you where to look for in reg if you need. YOu can launch installation from your setup.rul file
    If you use install shield 7 it is piece of cake to do this. I have not used WISE.

Please rate the article if it is of any use to you. This encourages me to reply more and more and more.

I know that it can be installed automatically when you use package and Deployment Wizard. If this won't help here are several clues that can help

ACTIVEX CAN'T CREATE WHICH OBJECT?
    When working on a large VB application that uses hundreds of COM objects, the "429 can't
    create object" error doesn't give you much help in determining which object could not be created.
    '============================================================================
    This problem happens when you use an ActiveX control in your program and the ActiveX control is not
    registered in the registry. If it works on the Development PC, it must be an incompatibillity between your
    control and the same control installed in the user PC. To fix this check which ActiveX controls you need in
    order to run your program and make sure all of them are placed in the SYSTEM folder. You should know which
    control is the one that's giving you so much trouble (it must be in the Form that crashes your program) so
    you'll have to manually register it. To do it you have two basic choices: Do it through Windows Explorer or
    through a DOS Prompt Window. If you are using the Explorer just drag and drop your
    control into REGSVR32.EXE (Both must be in the SYSTEM folder) or
    in the Dos Prompt window be sure you are in the SYSTEM folder
    and tye REGSVR32 [YourControlName].OCX After doing this you
    should see a message box saying that the registration process
    succeeded. If it fails, then you will have to dig inside the
    registry and find all the keys that references the control to
    delete them. Then you'll have to repeat the registration
    process.

Error 429 means that there is a component that isn't correctly registered. The PDW is supposed to take care
    of this, but sometimes it forgets. I doubt its an ADO component, just because since it is referenced in
    different ways so the PDW couldn't overlook it. Does your project have any custom controls or DLLs that
    were written by you or your company. These it may not pick up and register properly. If you find that this
    problem is only occurring on one machine, see if you can manually register the suspected controls by going
    to the start-run menu and typing "regsvr32 <dll or ocx path and name>". if it still doesn't work - look into
    rebuilding the setup package with the PDW and examine every option and/or another setup packager
    (Wise or Install Shield).

'=============================================================================

Here's another clue:
    You are refrencing an ado library that is the latest and geratest on your machine but when you try
    to package the exe PDW by dafault picks up from its own repository of redistribution components which
    normally has a version which is older.
    So what happens the PDW picks up the ADO library all right automatically based on the Reference setting in
    your project but it picks up the older version.
    If this is the case then
    For this replace the Mdac_typ.exe in the
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\Wizards\PDWizard\Redist with the latest Mdac_typ.exe

'check this
    Goto Project|References from the vb menu. Look for a ActiveX control that has MISSING next to it.
    If you see a missing that's the problem. It can't find it. Sometimes it is a activeX version problem, you may
    just need to pick a different version of the missing ActiveX control. Ot you may need to somehow install
    the missing control or not use it. As for where the debugger shows the problem, it's a red herring, just look
    for the MISSING control in references.

Iouri Boutchkine
    iouri@hotsheet.com
    Iouri Boutchkine
    iouri@hotsheet.NOSPAM.com