CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question msde 1.0 free download

hello everybody out there!

iam trying to install msde 1.0 on a "clean" system(one which only has Windows2000 OS running )

can i get a download of msde1.0 ,which works without MSoffice being installed in the system??

or can i get some additional components downloaded,that can be installed together with msde1.0 that comes with MS CD, so that it substitutes the need for MSoffice as a must ,installed in the system

thanku all for the help in advance..

tweety

MSDE is normally redistributed by developers of s/w that make use of it.

If you need to install such an application, MSDE should have come with it.

If you want to develop applications using MSDE, then if you use Visual Studio, you can find MSDE on the VS CDROMs.

You can also find it within SQL Server CDROMs, Office Developer CDROMs, etc.

Here's a Link to the latest version (older versions seem to have disappeared from the MS sites).

http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...l2kdesksp3.exe

beware, it's about 70Mb long.

more help needed

thank u savvas,

let me explain what i encountered while installing MSDE from office 2000 CD to a clean system..,
    i was told i needed access 9.0 or higer version on the system or office server extentions installed.

i did chk out SQLServer CD for the same but couldnt find any setups equivalent to MSDE, maybe i am missing out on it , i dont know...

actually i needed MSDE , so that i could use it instead of SQLSERVER7.0 , at the clients site,expecting it to work like a server

tahnk u for all ur insights and directions ...i am really greateful!
    Last edited by tweety123; November 8th, 2003 at 04:10 AM.

In SQL Server 7 MSDE was not available like now. It was called SQL Server desktop edition or similar.

If you have Visual Studio 6, you will find a CD labeled MSDE for Visual Studio. It is the older version of MDSE.

If you have SQL Server 2000, any version, you will find a directory called MSDE. MSDE 2000 is found there.

I am also told that MSDE is also available in the Office Developer version, but have never checked this personally.

You can also download MSDE from msdn if you have a subscription to msdn.

As far as what you want to achieve, yes, you can use MSDE any version, and have it behave in exacly the same way as SQL Server would. The only difference is that MSDE has something called "throttle manager" that limits performance to a max of 5 concurrent data requests, something that to reach you need a really large and busy network. So, in most cases, MSDE can perform in the same way with minimum limitations (e.g. max db size = 2Gb).