CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by raul_figous
    If u see CMap of mfc, they use heap to implement it and it is really good. Do u have any comments on this?
    MFC's CMap doesn't implement a heap, but a hash table. Honestly, I never understood why STL's std::map uses a red/black tree instead of a hash table (which is far more efficient in lookup).

Hi

Sorry CMap supports hashtable not heap. I typed it wrong. I think it is probably because of the hash function which is really specific to the problem handled. It may be probably because of collisions. What do u guys think?

raul
    (spain)

Originally posted by gstercken
    MFC's CMap doesn't implement a heap, but a hash table. Honestly, I never understood why STL's std::map uses a red/black tree instead of a hash table (which is far more efficient in lookup).
    The reason is that std::map is sorted, and using a hashed container will not let you do this without incurring serious penalties.
    From CMap's documentation
    A variable of type POSITION is used for alternate access to entries. You can use a POSITION to “remember” an entry and to iterate through the map. You might think that this iteration is sequential by key value; it is not. The sequence of retrieved elements is indeterminate.
    If you don't need it to be sorted, then hash_map is definitely a better choice, especially if it grows large. However, also with hash_map, you should consider a custom allocator for large data sets. Anyways, you may consider using a combination of things anyways, depending on your usage scenario. If you need to access elements using sorted keys only very occasionally, you could for example store everything in a hash_map and then when sorted access is required dump this to a vector which you sort afterwards. Or keep updating the vector as you go along. Or maybe keep an std::map along with your hash_map along these lines:
    Code:
    // For STLPort
    #include <map>
    #include <hash_map>

template <class Key, class Value, class HashFcn>
    class IndexedHashMap {
      typdef std::hash_map<Key, Value, HashFcn> STORAGE_TYPE;
      typdef std::map<Key, Value>  INDEX_TYPE;
      INDEX_TYPE m_index;
      STORAGE_TYPE m_storage;
    public:
      typedef INDEX_TYPE::iterator iterator;
      typedef INDEX_TYPE::const_iterator const_iterator;
      Value &operator[](const Key &k)
      {
        // check whether element exists
        if ((STORAGE_TYPE::iterator it = m_storage.find(k)) != m_storage.end()) {
          // lookup is O(1) here
          return *it;
        } else {
          // insertion is O(log(N))
          Value v;
          m_storage.insert(make_pair(k, v));
          m_index.insert(make_pair(k, v));
          return v;
        }
      }
      iterator begin()
      {
        return m_index.begin();
      }
      iterator end()
      {
        return m_index.end();
      }
    };
    Current hash_map implementations differ (I know the ones from STLPort and Dinkumware) in the details and some runtime characteristics, but they are both better than MFC's CMap.
    Last edited by Yves M; November 13th, 2003 at 02:09 PM.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

formerly posted by Kuphryn:
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I have seen a system running WinXP with 386mb RAM terminate a program after it had used up 100mb RAM via STL map of strings.

Kuphryn
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That has nothing to do with std::map.
    If you make your pagefile size 1 or 2 gB you can go a lot further with std::map.
    I just stepped into the code and unfortunately map does allocate all its memory with 'new', otherwise you could draw the memory straight from a memorymappedfile of your own.
    Last edited by fransn; November 15th, 2003 at 07:10 PM.

Hi guys,

How does this map sort when we alpha numeric as keys? Like for instance i have

A1
    A2
    A10
    A01
    A02

Do we have any algorithm where these alpha numeric values can be converted to a number and then used in map as key values so that they can be sorted properly. As u know the alpha numeric values given above cannot be sorted properly.This sequence could change according to user requirement. Like for a user A10 is less than A2 .Probably this may not be the case with other users. Any inputs on this?

raul
    (spain)

It depends on your comparison function. If you are using map<string, string> then the default comparison function will be less<string>. So it's a lexicographical comparison (i.e. simple string comparison) and your odering will look like this:

Code:
    A01
    A02
    A1
    A10
    A2
    If thats' not what you want, then define your own comparison function along these lines:

Code:
    #include <map>

using namespace std;
    struct StringCompare
    {
      bool operator()(const &string l, const string &r) const {
        return l < r;
      }
    };

int main()
    {
      map<string, string, StringCompare> my_map;
      return 0;
    }
    Last edited by Yves M; November 17th, 2003 at 08:06 AM.
    Get this small utility to do basic syntax highlighting in vBulletin forums (like Codeguru) easily.
    Supports C++ and VB out of the box, but can be configured for other languages.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12