Someone I work with is using some of my applications. (Written in mixed managed c++ and native C++ via VS2008) Upon installing my latest application he cannot run that application and now any application of mine he had installed before cannot be ran. The failure shows itself as ~100% CPU usage but nothing else happens. The application shows up in task manager but never shows the form. Using remote debugger I discovered that the application seemed to be stuck in a loop before it ever reaches main. I also noticed that the last module loaded is always winmm.dll. Which seemed odd to me because I do not intentionally link to this. I believe that it may be linked to from the standard C++ libraries but I am not certain. There is a microsoft knowledgebase article KB942152 which seems similar to the problem but has very little description of its manifestation and the solutions do not exactly seem to fit this case.
It is worth noting that I test all of my applications on a "test pc" with no compiler/ide setup. The test pc has the same applications of mine installed including the new one from the same installers and there is no problems on that pc. The applications are also installed on several other pcs some with IDE and some without and no one else has had this problem. One last note is that when I run remote debugger on the machines that do not have the problem winmm.dll never appears to be loaded.