CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Prevent VB to change CLSID or AppId

Hi,
    I would like to know if there is a way to prevent VB to change the clsid and AppId of an ActiveX(ocx,dll or EXE) even if the virtual table has been changed (remove of some functions, add/remove of some arguments in function).

I know that we can use the binary compatibility, but VB comes over this when he decides that they can't be compatible.
    That's what i want to prevent. Since during development or test(DCOM) it is really easier to keep always the same id in order to keep the DCOM link always available and not to reconfigure it each time we make some little modifications.

Thanks a lot!

Re: Prevent VB to change CLSID or AppId

Hello
    I am as well battling with this did you get a way to do this yet.. i make references to so many projects and afater every rebuild i have to select references... not good at all..
    i am however trying to write some C# application that will open the vbp and search for the clsiD then replace them with the once registered orvice versa..

will appreciate your response..

Sorry but found nothing. With C# you have to regenerate interop each time to get new methods.

But with C#4 you may have a trick. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/samng/archiv...-in-c-4-0.aspx

Good luck

You go to menu 'Project->Properties' and select the 'Component' tab.
    There you find a section 'Version compatibility'
    You select Binary compatibility and reference the first executable (or dll) you have made as compatibility source. Then the compiler would keep the CLSID of the first binary you have created.