CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Killing child and parent windows

Hi.

I have a program that creates child windows (not dialogs)

When the child window is closed (clicking on the X), ~method is called, which deletes allocated storage and sends a message to the parent window telling that the window was closed.

Now in a situation, where the child window is up and the parent window is up, and we close the parent window, as much as I understand MFC, the parent window is killed before the child window is. So when the ~method of the child window is called, it sends a message to the parent window, but the parent window has already been (deleted? destroyed?) so the program just exits at that point. How can I avoid this or work around this or fix this?

Thank you.

As far as I know MFC ensures that child windows unload before the parent, unless you are doing something "creative" like adding the child window at run time... or am I mistaken about that?
    But... but... I'll set the building on fire.

How many keys do YOU press?

My source was "Programming Windows with MFC second Edition" by Jeff Prosise.

Chapter 12, page 721, says:

"Child windows, on the other hand, are destroyed after their parents are destroyed."

What he is talking about is toolbars, but the concept should still apply.

According to MSDN, calling DestroyWindow() will destroy all children first, then the parent window.

So that would mean, when the parent window is killed, and it tries to destroy the child window, and a child window sends a message to the parent window, that should be accepted?

Yes, it should be. If memory serves, I've actually done that before Just don't count on the parent window hanging around long enough to receive and process the message unless you return 0 from your child window's DestroyWindow() proc.