CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I know a website were you can download for free alomost every C/C++ (and not only) related eBook (including C++ standard). Once I've tried to provide this information and Andreas Masur said that it is illegal to show them. If PM is not illegal then I can provide it by PM. And I don't know any law regarding this.

There is no new c++ standard yet, but it regularly gets updated with "technical corrigenda" or such. That's how alot of the people on the standards committee spend their time, because there are a lot of fine points in the writtend standard that show up as unclear or possibly even contradictory when the implemenetors get to work on it. Its kind of like a test-driven development on a language scale. But they incorporate the updates into the written work every now and then, from what I've heard (and I was under the impression also the pdf, but I've never wanted to spend an additional amount of money to find out -- and possibly not for DRM concerns). Also, I've heard there is also a newly annotated version of the standard which is actually in print (at least in the UK), that has the entire standard with some very competent remarks from standards related people for a much cheaper price than ANSI sells the things without comment.

There will however be a new update to the standard coming very soon which will introduce several new libraries to the standard, most notably contributions from boost. The completely new standardisation, however, which may contain many core language updates, is not expected until somewhere around 2008.
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Originally posted by Sam Hobbs
    You should tell us where you are getting your information from, since it seems to be very incomplete and misleading. It is probably not accurate, and if it is not accurate, then it is especially important to specify the source.

See Techstreet - Product Details: Programming Languages - C++; I think that is current and accurate.
    I'm not sure what you thought was inaccurate, but the TechStreet link shows a price of $18 for the PDF. If you were talking about the information on the "newer" expensive version I mentioned in my previous post, then click on the link Souldog provided and enter "C++" in the search. You'll find 3 products -- the 2 that TechStreet mentioned and the expensive 2003 version.

Originally posted by galathaea
    There will however be a new update to the standard coming very soon which will introduce several new libraries to the standard, most notably contributions from boost.
    Which parts of boost are being considered for standardization?

See the C + + standard—unofficial list of revisions PDF document for a nearly-official documentation of the revisions. It says that a revised version of the standard will be issued in 2002, which is confusing. Perhaps the standard was actually revised this year.

Originally posted by KevinHall
    I'm not sure what you thought was inaccurate, but the TechStreet link shows a price of $18 for the PDF. If you were talking about the information on the "newer" expensive version I mentioned in my previous post, then click on the link Souldog provided and enter "C++" in the search. You'll find 3 products -- the 2 that TechStreet mentioned and the expensive 2003 version.
    And I think it is innacurate that any PDF version is more than $18. My guess is that the web site is not accurate or is at least misleading. Probably any copy of any version of the standard that is more than $18 is a printed copy.

Well Sam, that web site is the ANSI store. So I guess if anyone is
    accurate about how much ANSI products cost, it is ansi. however,
    I think the expensive one is a book, and as Galathaea metioned
    there is a website from England which is offering a hard copy of
    the 2003 version for $60, but it will not be available until december
    Wakeup in the morning and kick the day in the teeth!! Or something like that.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

Here is a nice link for info on the standard
    http://anubis.dkuug.dk/jtc1/sc22/wg21/
    Wakeup in the morning and kick the day in the teeth!! Or something like that.

"i don't want to write leak free code or most efficient code, like others traditional (so called expert) coders do."

The C++ standard is not an ANSI standard, but ANSI does own it partially. Therefore ANSI's sales of the standard is actually a sale of the ISO standard.

The ANSI store has the 2003 version of the ISO/IEC C++ standard for $18.
    ISO/IEC 14882-2003
    See following link:

http://webstore.ansi.org/ansidocstor...C+14882%2D2003
    David Maisonave
    Author of Policy Based Synchronized Smart Pointer
    http://axter.com/smartptr

Top ten member of C++ Expert Exchange.
    C++ Topic Area

FYI:
    The ISO web site does specifically state that they're selling the PDF version.
    Even the CD-Rom version is selling for over $270 US dollars.
    http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueD...&ICS2=60&ICS3=

I don't see how they can justify the $270 price tag, when the ANSI site is selling the same thing for $18.
    David Maisonave
    Author of Policy Based Synchronized Smart Pointer
    http://axter.com/smartptr

Top ten member of C++ Expert Exchange.
    C++ Topic Area

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12