CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Front page article

This article from Karl Moore is rather disappointing. In particular, the issue that he covers there is trivial, and it seems as though he doesn't really understand what the "technical" writers are talking about. Linear Congruence random number generators aren't truly random, which is what the technical people talk about, and what he is doing is covering some trivial aspect of seeding using the clock. Does anyone else feel this way?

Brendan

In my opinion, a rather more disappointing article popped up last week, when someone thought it'd be cool to copy large chunks of code from someone else's tutorial (an openGL tutorial by NeHe) and explain it in pretty much the same words. The code had been so slightly altered that it still contained the "// {NEW}" comments from the original without edit. I don't have any problem with people conveying knowledge from one source to another destination, but I usually prefer either some added information (like, maybe objectify the code, which is purely procedural) or at least a fairly straightforward acknowledgement of the direct copy. That article had NeHe mentioned only at the end, bibliographically, with no acknowledgement of the scope of immediate duplication.

I saw the random number article, but was mostly struck by incorrect expectations (I expected a discussion on binning problems or something similar). It was a simple article on an "optimisation" or "correct usage" issue. It seemed useful to those who do not have a good grasp on object lifetime issues yet, which there certainly is an audience for.

However, I have seen many good articles on codeguru and many fair articles. Very rarely, I will see a few that in my opinion have almost nothing to offer or which I may even disagree with. But even that variety serves a useful purpose, giving good opportunity for gaining a better perspective on the styles and quality of code out there.

I wouldn't sweat it too much...
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

This kind of feedback would be great for you guys to provide in the FEEDBACK forum. I'd like to here this stuff and I usually miss it if it is in chit chat.

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Brad Jones
    I'd like to here this stuff and I usually miss it if it is in chit chat.
    Brad!
    I hope this is true !!
    One solution that might be good is to change your username and join with Chitchat guys, that I call well-fitted. Perhaps pearls cannot stay with junk or something similar ???

~~~~TRSH

By the way, I am still on topic...
    My post links to yours which is linking to OP !!!