CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

get file names in a folder / directory

how do i get the file names of all the files in a folder / directory in c++?

Re: get file names in a folder / directory

Originally posted by kalavathy
    how do i get the file names of all the files in a folder / directory in c++?
    There are no standard C++ functions to get the names of the files in a directory. You need to tell us the operating system and compiler you are using, since getting the names of the files all depend on compiler and OS.

If you want a cross-platform solution, you can investigate the boost libraries at www.boost.org. They have a file/directory class that works on various operating systems.

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

In addition to Paul's correct answer...if you are using Windows, take a look at the following FAQ. It shows how one can do it in Windows, however, it basically can be easily ported to a different operating system/compiler since the way is still the same (except for the keywords probably)...

Ejaz is offline Elite Member Power Poster
    Dear Andreas,

Although the code in the link that u mention is quite perfect, but I saw another thread, which mentioned a minor bug in it, I mean...

Code:
     // Check extension
              strExtension = FileInformation.cFileName;
              strExtension = strExtension.substr(strExtension.find(".") + 1);
    like, it doesn't catch files like "this.is.my.file.txt" and I guess the solution was to use reverse iterator or _splitpath(...).

I just came through this thread and found that the FAQ is not updated, so just mentioned it, nothing personal

Originally posted by Ejaz
    Although the code in the link that u mention is quite perfect, but I saw another thread, which mentioned a minor bug in it...
    Well...I would not consider this as a bug since I am still of the opinion that filenames like "this.is.my.file.txt" are invalid.

Anyway, this can be solved by using the 'rfind()' function instead of 'find()'. Since I do not want to start a discussion about whether these names are invalid or not, I simply changed the appropriate FAQs...