CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Another path issue

Coming back to this thread, I'm having trouble with relative/absolute paths to files.

I recently added the ability to play the level the user is editing in my level editor by running the game's executable (which is in a different folder than the editor) via ShellExecute:
    Code:
    ShellExecute(GetDesktopWindow(), TEXT("open"),
        to_wstring(hex_fn).c_str(), NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWNORMAL);
    While I haven't got to the stage of replacing strings with a proper "Path" class (mainly because I couldn't figure out how to install Boost.Filesystem and didn't want to try and implement such a system myself), I have made sure that all resources are loaded using the absolute path of the resource:
    Code:
    SDL_Surface* Surface_Cache::Load_Surface(const std::string& file_name,
    bool is_colour_key, Opt_SDL_Colour colour_key)
    {
      std::string fn = Directory::abs_path(file_name);

// ...

return optimized;
    }
    However, since I am using ShellExecute, the calls to Directory::abs_path seem to indicate that the executable directory is where ShellExecute was called from, instead of the directory of the executable that was called.

Is there a way to get around this issue (besides using Boost.Filesystem which I failed miserably at trying to install)?

Cheers.
    Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from bad judgment.
    Cosy Little Game | SDL | GM script | VLD | Syntax Hlt | Can you help me with my homework assignment?

Re: Another path issue

Oh... I should have read the docs better... there is an lpDirectory parameter that specifies the working directory for the exectuable. :s
    Good judgment is gained from experience. Experience is gained from bad judgment.
    Cosy Little Game | SDL | GM script | VLD | Syntax Hlt | Can you help me with my homework assignment?