dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Newbie: Where do i start learning?

Newbie: Where do i start learning?

Hi, im absolutely new to Vbasic (I use C, Pascal, and also my calculator's User RPL ) and i need to know where do i start to learn, i've seen countless tutorials but all of them, it seems, cover a specific area of Vbasic. Isn't there a general super-ultra-newbie tutorial? Im trying, at least for now, to make a program that obtains a lot of function (x->y) values and plots them. Eventually i would like to do a lot more. Where do you think i should start?

Also, im using VB 6.0 cause i have win98SE and many people have told me that if i use the .NET framework with win98SE it will literally *****-slap my machine and i dont intend to switch to WinCrap XP.

Thanks a lot.

P.D. Sorry for my english but im from Latin America.

PlanetSourceCode.com is a great place to find example code to learn from. As for .net, it is not the successor to vb6, since it can be easily decompiled. It seems more suited to applications with multiple developers, and where the software will only be used privately, like when a company needs custom software.
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

One good place to start is right here at CodeGuru
    http://codeguru.com/vb/index.shtml
    like wizbang said http://www.pscode.com
    is a good place also.

as for XP being crap, i would disagree its the best OS i've ever
    used, of course thats just me.

Just to add my comments on xp, I hate it. A new coat of paint won't repair a bad engine. I for one am not taken in by all the hype, and I don't care how "pretty" the wallpaper is. It's bulky, slow, and hogs more resources than any other windows version I've seen. Although I **could** go into great detail on specifics, it would be out of context with this thread.

I end my rant with: http://www.litepc.com/
    Please remember to rate the posts and threads that you find useful.
    How can something be both new and improved at the same time?

First make SURE you have ALL of MSDN installed. It has explanations of almost every control, method, property and event.
    If you need help on a specific item, pressing F1 will generally lead you in the right direction.
    Second, utilize the resources available here, in this forum. Perform searches of previous posts to see if the qusetion you have has already been asked (chances are it has)
    Ask specific questions here, on specific topics. You will get an answer.
    Try it yourself first, then post your qusetions, but please provide us with the info. we will need to help you.
    Good luck and Welcome.