CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Questions about the Platform SDK

Hi,
    yesterday I downloaded the Platform SDK and now I have two questions:

1. How can I integrate the Platform SDK-Help system in Visual C++ so that pressing F1 will start the Help system and show me the documentation of the desired function?Or isn't this possible?

2. In the startmenu I clicked on "Register PSDK directories with Visual Studio" to use the new header and libs. But now I get type redefinitions in my project e.g. _SHITEMID. I tried to delete the header-path "C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE" in the options but it doesn't work. I installed the Platform SDK to "c:\programme\Microsoft SDK".

Thx to all and a nice sylvester!

The SDK installer show automatically link the new installation to Visual Studio Help.

You downloaded and installed the SDK via Microsoft website correct?

Kuphryn

yes i think so...there's nothing that could be done wrong (it's a simple microsoft installer), i downloaded it and installed it to "c:\programme\microsoft sdk"

but pressing f1 only starts the "old" msdn and in the options under help system there's only one entry - msdn!

Re: Questions about the Platform SDK

Try uninstalling and reinstalling SDK again. After adding paths go to Tools/options/directories and make sure that SDK path is listed before VS.

Originally posted by fotzor
    nice sylvester!
    What is Sylvester? Are you from Poland?
    There are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Re: Re: Questions about the Platform SDK

Originally posted by JohnCz
    What is Sylvester? Are you from Poland?
    Silvester is the name for the last day of the year (well...in simple words)...and it might be the same for other European countries as well...so he might have tried to translate it directly to English...

Yes I'm from Germany and today it's Sylvester

To my problem:
    I tried uninstalling and reinstalling but my problem persists. F1 still opens MSDN although when I pressed the key over a function which is unknown to my MSDN (like SHBindToParent). But much worse I can't compile my program because of the redefinitions!

The path "c:\programme\microsoft sdk\include" is listed before "C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE" in the Include-Files section

if you have the SDK headers above the VC headers in the options dir's includes, then I'm inclined to say it's something localized to your project.

What do your headers look like?

btw what version of vc are you using 6.0? looks to be so, but it releates to what I can comment on about f-1 MSDN and OCT2001+ and getting the new SDK help.

Re: Re: Re: Questions about the Platform SDK

Originally posted by Andreas Masur
    Silvester is the name for the last day of the year (well...in simple words)...and it might be the same for other European countries as well...so he might have tried to translate it directly to English...
    I know this is slightly off topic, but I thought that this was limited to Poland only.

In Polish calendar each day of the year has the name (or several); probably saint patron’s name. Whoever has this name celebrates this day as we celebrate birthday.

Also the last day of the year has name Sylvester and that is also the name of festivities in the evening of the New Year’s Eve.

Anyway Happy New Year!

You are just about 1.5 hours from New Year.
    There are only 10 types of people in the world:
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.

Re: Questions about the Platform SDK

Originally posted by fotzor
    Hi,
    yesterday I downloaded the Platform SDK and now I have two questions:

1. How can I integrate the Platform SDK-Help system in Visual C++ so that pressing F1 will start the Help system and show me the documentation of the desired function?Or isn't this possible?

2. In the startmenu I clicked on "Register PSDK directories with Visual Studio" to use the new header and libs. But now I get type redefinitions in my project e.g. _SHITEMID. I tried to delete the header-path "C:\Programme\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\INCLUDE" in the options but it doesn't work. I installed the Platform SDK to "c:\programme\Microsoft SDK".

Thx to all and a nice sylvester!
    First, you can't pick up PSDK help from Visual Studio. It's a foolish decision by MS however (or more accurately they don't care since VC6 is a legacy product now). The MSDN and PSDK help are independent systems even though MSDN is basically a superset of the PSDK. You can add PSDK links to your MSDN "Favorites" and vice versa however but it's not the same thing. You'll just have to get used to running the PSDK separately (and it's better to rely on it where possible since the info is more up-to-date than your copy of MSDN). As for the redefinition error, this is sometimes a problem after installing the PSDK. I can cite other examples as well. The problem (usually) is that MS has redefined some things in the PSDK headers that are also defined elsewhere. The first thing you should do is re-compile *everything*. That may solve the problem right there. Otherwise, if it's really a redefinition problem, you will have to find a work-around. Sometimes there's an official workaround posted by MS (again, I can cite examples), other times you may just have to be innovative (such as using #if to eliminate the second defintion - brutal but there's no choice sometimes). Good luck.

Thank you very much, that helped
    but it's very annoying that ms doesn't integrate it. well, i'll have to get used to it