Multiple desktops
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Multiple desktops

Multiple desktops

I use CreateDesktop(), SwitchDesktop, etc to manipulate multiple desktops.

My problem is that hotkeys registered with RegisterHotKey works across multiple desktops. Example, I have two desktops named "Desk 1" and "Desk 2". On Desk 1 I start an application which registers a hotkey say Ctrl+Alt+N. When this hotkey is pressed a new window is created. Now I switch to Desk 2 and press this hotkey. Because the hotkey-program has been started on desk 1, the window will appear on desk 1 no matter which desktop is currently active.

This is quite annoying. Also, I can't start the hotkey-program again on Desk 2 because the Ctrl+Alt+N hotkey has already been registered!

Anyone knows a solution to this problem or is this by design and can't this be circumvented?

just a thought...

when you call switchdesktop(...) call unregisterhotkey(...) then registerhotkey(...)

Works perfectly if the hotkeys are registered in your own program, but not when another program registered the hotkey.

well no where in your post do you mention anything other than your process..but maybe that was implied...sorry been doing too much non-windowed coding as of late...be that as it may, I can sorta see the issue, maybe you should look at SetProcessWindowStation(...) or SetThreadDesktop(...) again...just a thought, I'd have to go fark around with it later to say definitely...

Originally posted by Mick
    well no where in your post do you mention anything other than your process..but maybe that was implied...
    Sorry, it was implied :blush
    sorry been doing too much non-windowed coding as of late...be that as it may, I can sorta see the issue, maybe you should look at SetProcessWindowStation(...) or SetThreadDesktop(...) again...just a thought, I'd have to go fark around with it later to say definitely...
    SetThreadDesktop(...) does not work with GUI windows:
    Quote from MSDN:
    "The SetThreadDesktop function will fail if the calling thread has any windows or hooks on its current desktop (unless the hDesktop parameter is a handle to the current desktop)."