dcsimg
CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20

Thread: Improving my English

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    417

    Improving my English

    What must I be reading in order to improve my written english? On occassion, and my temperament willing, I do pick up the dailies. More frequently, I resort to a thorough study of word meanings from the dictionary. This happens when I come accross a word that is new to my vocabulary from a source such as television or random reading.

    So, I do read some stuff, but I am keen on speeding up my progress. What are you guys reading, never to miss a beat?

    Also, is it really important to read the newspapers? I find the language in the newspapers a bit modern for my taste, besides finding the news particularly boring and artificial. I've read Shakespeare, Dostoevsky and lots of poetry and seem to chime with the old school english. Regular attendance on online forums has rubbed off some Americanisms too, on my prose. I really want to pick up the best of both the worlds and evolve my own style.

    Thanks for reading.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Beyond Juslibol
    Posts
    1,688

    Re: Improving my English

    I don't know what you must read in order to improve your written english level.

    However you can start not reading my posts because they won't help you to improve your level.


  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    417

    Re: Improving my English

    Thank you for the encouragement, Doctor Luz. I really appreciate that. I am looking forward for tips from native speakers and writers so I can improve my writing skills. I need improvement.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    India
    Posts
    232

    Re: Improving my English

    Hi Sathyaish,

    I myself don't have a great command on the english language, but I've heard that Reader's Digest is good. It also contains regular vacbulary as well as grammar 'lessons' (mind you, not for school kids). Another way could be reading English newspapers like (Your name suggests you are Indian so..) Times of India, The Hindu, Indian Express etc.

    I hope this would help

    Manish
    Sarve Bhavantu Sukheenah,
    Sarve Santu Niramayah,
    Sarve Bhadrani Pashyantu,
    Ma Kashchit dukh bhag bhavet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    417

    Re: Improving my English

    Thanks for the inputs, Manish. Your help is really appreciated.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    (Upper-) Austria
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Improving my English

    I have a really strange problem though. As you can read here I spent every free minute here posting englisch texts. So I think my written english is pretty good. And Mathew is correcting every mistake he finds in my post - thats really helpful! But my spoken english is horrible (But I don't have an accent. I don't speak like Arni ). Because I have no one to speak english with.
    Last edited by NoHero; December 23rd, 2004 at 03:35 PM.
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

  7. #7

    Re: Improving my English

    Best way to improve in English wud be to start thinking in English.
    C++ is divine.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    813

    Re: Improving my English

    Best way to start thinking in English would be to eat lots of McDonalds.
    Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

    Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    10,354

    Re: Improving my English

    Quote Originally Posted by chmanish
    Times of India, The Hindu, Indian Express etc.
    I'd second that.. I'd put "The Hindu" ahead of the rest.
    Especially, you may want to read the editorials..

    However, there is one thing I would be curious about. When you say you want to improve your written english, are you talking about improving your vocab or are you trying to improve your writing. These are 2 different things.. Vocab means having an arsenal of words at command .. which may make the least sense to common people and make them scamper towards the dictionary to find the meaning.. however, one can be very good at writing even with the choice of the common words.. Writing is basically finding a balance , IMO and is something which is specific to the target audience..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Bangalore, India
    Posts
    1,354

    Re: Improving my English

    Quote Originally Posted by NoHero
    And Mathew is correcting every mistake he finds in my post - thats really helpful!
    Man! you didn't take that seriously, did you? Someone has to do it for my posts too. My faqs are corrected and restructured by Andreas. But I found you haven't corrected the mistake I pointed out. I found it repeated again...in that thread.

    Speaking about developing english, I recomend the following. To buid up vocabulary, read newspaper (I would suggest 'The Hindu', as said the editorials are really good), about style and structure read magazines like Readers' Digest. Pronouciation watch news (DD, CNN, BBC), accent and fluency you have to speak with esp. those who have them. Ask your friends to correct you. If you can't find those who speak well, you can ask you native language friends to start talking in english. No matter how much knowledge you have in english, you somehow have to practice speaking...other wise at the right moment your talking organs won't budge, because it is foreign to them.

    I often give advice about improving english over here because many ask me how I got the fluency and accent. One doctor asked me if I were brought up in the US Talking about english, I know I have a lot to improve. I constantly try to improve it.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

    * While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

    I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    (Upper-) Austria
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Improving my English

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Joy
    Man! you didn't take that seriously, did you? Someone has to do it for my posts too. My faqs are corrected and restructured by Andreas. But I found you haven't corrected the mistake I pointed out. I found it repeated again...in that thread.
    Do you mean "sure"? I don't know why, but this happens by the way. I have to type slower and look twice over my posts. But I think my english is getting better since I learn nothing for my english tests and fail to get the A only by one or two points. (I would appreciate the bash smile now).
    This is very helpful because you started to read my posts more carefully, and I think you'd tell me if you find a mistake.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mathew Joy
    Speaking about developing english, I recomend the following. To buid up vocabulary, read newspaper (I would suggest 'The Hindu', as said the editorials are really good), about style and structure read magazines like Readers' Digest. Pronouciation watch news (DD, CNN, BBC), accent and fluency you have to speak with esp. those who have them. Ask your friends to correct you. If you can't find those who speak well, you can ask you native language friends to start talking in english. No matter how much knowledge you have in english, you somehow have to practice speaking...other wise at the right moment your talking organs won't budge, because it is foreign to them.

    I often give advice about improving english over here because many ask me how I got the fluency and accent. One doctor asked me if I were brought up in the US Talking about english, I know I have a lot to improve. I constantly try to improve it.
    I have nobody to talk. So I hope the Native Speaker we had last year will come back soon. He is from America and nice to talk with him. I read english books and/or MSDN articles quite often, if I am alone I read them loud. So I can test myself in reading and speaking english. There is just one lousy thing in it: There is nobody to correct me if I spell something wrong. Another good way to improve english - I do this since several months and it helps - is to collect english music and try to write down it's lyrics without having any help. This helps to understand everything clearly.
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    8,148

    Re: Improving my English

    Quote Originally Posted by NoHero
    So I am really god at writing englisch.
    Lol ...
    ... You do know that that one sentence contains 2 errors


    ... sorry couldn't resists ...
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

    Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    (Upper-) Austria
    Posts
    2,899

    Re: Improving my English

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc G
    ... sorry couldn't resists ...
    Of course you couldn't ... Thank you
    I am not offering technical guidiance via email or IM
    Come on share your photo with us! CG members photo album!
    Use the Code Tags!

  14. #14
    Arjay's Avatar
    Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    13,207

    Smile Re: Improving my English

    I've been speekn english for over 30 years and stil havent' got the riting part down.

    Arjay

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    25

    Re: Improving my English

    Quote Originally Posted by Sathyaish
    What must I be reading in order to improve my written english? On occassion, and my temperament willing, I do pick up the dailies. More frequently, I resort to a thorough study of word meanings from the dictionary. This happens when I come accross a word that is new to my vocabulary from a source such as television or random reading.

    So, I do read some stuff, but I am keen on speeding up my progress. What are you guys reading, never to miss a beat?

    Also, is it really important to read the newspapers? I find the language in the newspapers a bit modern for my taste, besides finding the news particularly boring and artificial. I've read Shakespeare, Dostoevsky and lots of poetry and seem to chime with the old school english. Regular attendance on online forums has rubbed off some Americanisms too, on my prose. I really want to pick up the best of both the worlds and evolve my own style.

    Thanks for reading.
    if u r a guy try to write a letter to your girlfriend.and if u r a gal try to write a letter to your bf.in that time it will improve automatically
    just check it out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Windows Mobile Development Center


Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width




On-Demand Webinars (sponsored)