CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little story

Red face A little story

A boss who runs a factory with a very large and complicated machine finds one morning that the machine is broken down and nobody knows what to do. He has to get it up and running again but like everyone else doesn't know how to fix the problem.

They call in a technician who comes in, takes a look at the machine, goes around the back of it and hits the machine with a hammer just once on a precise spot. The machine starts working again.

Next day, the boss gets the bill in the mail for $1000. He is furious as to how anyone can have the nerve to charge that much just for hitting something with a hammer. He gets his secretary to ring the technician up and ask for a detailed invoice.

The following day he receives the detailed invoice which reads:

Hitting the machine with a hammer ------------------ $1.00
    Knowing where to hit the machine ------------------ $999.00

Microsoft LVP - Least Valuable Professional

Please rate this post... Pleeeeeeaaassee!!!

Originally posted by Deniz
    A boss who runs a factory with a very large and complicated machine finds one morning that the machine is broken down and nobody knows what to do. He has to get it up and running again but like everyone else doesn't know how to fix the problem.

They call in a technician who comes in, takes a look at the machine, goes around the back of it and hits the machine with a hammer just once on a precise spot. The machine starts working again.

Next day, the boss gets the bill in the mail for $1000. He is furious as to how anyone can have the nerve to charge that much just for hitting something with a hammer. He gets his secretary to ring the technician up and ask for a detailed invoice.

The following day he receives the detailed invoice which reads:

Hitting the machine with a hammer ------------------ $1.00
    Knowing where to hit the machine ------------------ $999.00

Really a little story.

My really really really really little story about my Sir Sopo

I don't know his name, I call him Sir Sopo. I once had a chance to talk with him through the phone. He sounded so proud of himself and that's a sad thing, at least I think so, it's sad to me ! I just hope my Sir Sopo won't be that proud so as not to get hurt whenever there is a strike from anyone, especially right HERE where he IS living.

Re: My really really really really little story about my Sir Sopo

Originally posted by VuQ_Le
    I don't know his name, I call him Sir Sopo. I once had a chance to talk with him through the phone. He sounded so proud of himself and that's a sad thing, at least I think so, it's sad to me ! I just hope my Sir Sopo won't be that proud so as not to get hurt whenever there is a strike from anyone, especially right HERE where he IS living.
    You would scare our Sir away...

Courtesy Readers' Digest
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

Before talking about others, I think someone should think about them first ?
    Last edited by Homestead; January 15th, 2004 at 06:26 AM.

Originally posted by Mathew Joy
    Courtesy Readers' Digest
    possibly.. i heard the story from my father.

a morality tale

More than 3.5 billion years ago, a species of bacteria created a dye that could transmit the energy of the sun to fuel its growth. These were the cyanobacters, that soon formed large mats of blue-green colonies that would grow in laggoons and flats for many years, layer after layer, forming famous structures known as stromatolites. These mats would often collide in their thirst for real estate to consume the sun's energy, forming intricate boundary patterns in their struggles.

Slowly, a poisonous gas that was released by the great energy consumption of the cyanobacters known as oxy-gen began to build and pollute the atmosphere. Life prior to this had been anaerobic, and oxidation destroyed metabolisms and ecologies around the earth.

Slowly, though, as oxygen levels increased, other lifeforms began to adapt. One grouping of methanogens and fermenters fused together into an elaborate, larger, more fluid form of life known as the eukaryotes, from which multicellular organism like plants, animals, and fungi formed.

The moral of this story: energy is the true illuminatus that controls the future of life. We all need it as our food to drive our continued existence as lifeforms. There have always been wars about energy, and there always will be. There has always been pollution associated to the consumption of energy. Often, species die as a result, but sometimes the adaptations that result create new and wondrous phenomena.

Sometimes this could be admitted, though. And sometimes, it might be a good idea to pay more attention when it is occurring, to make sure the right people win for the right reasons...
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Re: a morality tale

Originally posted by galathaea
    More than 3.5 billion years ago, a species of bacteria created a dye that could transmit the energy of the sun to fuel its growth. These were the cyanobacters, that soon formed large mats of blue-green colonies that would grow in laggoons and flats for many years, layer after layer, forming famous structures known as stromatolites. These mats would often collide in their thirst for real estate to consume the sun's energy, forming intricate boundary patterns in their struggles.

Slowly, a poisonous gas that was released by the great energy consumption of the cyanobacters known as oxy-gen began to build and pollute the atmosphere. Life prior to this had been anaerobic, and oxidation destroyed metabolisms and ecologies around the earth.

Slowly, though, as oxygen levels increased, other lifeforms began to adapt. One grouping of methanogens and fermenters fused together into an elaborate, larger, more fluid form of life known as the eukaryotes, from which multicellular organism like plants, animals, and fungi formed.

The moral of this story: energy is the true illuminatus that controls the future of life. We all need it as our food to drive our continued existence as lifeforms. There have always been wars about energy, and there always will be. There has always been pollution associated to the consumption of energy. Often, species die as a result, but sometimes the adaptations that result create new and wondrous phenomena.

Sometimes this could be admitted, though. And sometimes, it might be a good idea to pay more attention when it is occurring, to make sure the right people win for the right reasons...
    Galathea, I'm curious, do you ever sleep?

Re: Re: a morality tale

Originally posted by Deniz
    Galathea, I'm curious, do you ever sleep?
    Is it your problem ?

Re: Re: Re: a morality tale

Originally posted by Homestead
    Is it your problem ?
    Is it your problem that its my problem?

Re: a morality tale

In other words stop worring about polution. Carbondioxidation (for instance) may create new species or lifeforms that adapt to it.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.

no cyanobacteria for oil
    no cyanobacteria for oil
    no cyanobacteria for oil

/Adjusts tin foil hat...

Originally posted by Mathew Joy
    In other words stop worring about polution. Carbondioxidation (for instance) may create new species or lifeforms that adapt to it.
    I specifically mentioned that species and entire ecosystems have been destroyed, and cautioned that it is a phenomena that should be given more attention (as opposed to ignoring). The tale was only to put the problem in a larger historical context. I believe that considerations of the health of life on earth should always be the ultimate concern of social structures like governments.
    Originally posted by Mick
    no cyanobacteria for oil
    no cyanobacteria for oil
    no cyanobacteria for oil

/Adjusts tin foil hat...
    Oh come on, now! Cyanobacteria don't produce protective fibers like lignin and are consumed long before they are buried deep enough for the oil generating processes!

And I find tantalum foil works better on the frequencies THEY transmit on...
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

I specifically mentioned that species and entire ecosystems have been destroyed...
    Did you? I'm sorry, but I can't find it...maybe I have to look again . But you've also said that
    ....other lifeforms began to adapt.
    Maybe other lifeforms have already adapted (probably you and me). The nature also have the 'reputation' (can't get a right word for it) for choosing the best and killing the rest(thats why it is said only the best will survive). And the only exception is the human race, even the weakest survive with the ever increasing power of medical technology. Maybe the nature have passed the limit of tolerating the weakest and may have come up with something to kill us.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast