CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A little story

Originally posted by galathaea
    Oh come on, now! Cyanobacteria don't produce protective fibers like lignin and are consumed long before they are buried deep enough for the oil generating processes!
    aww you made me have to go look this crap up shame on you...not that I want to get in a P'ing match with you, I'd have to spend too much time refreshing my memory, and that cuts into my beer time.

Oil inclusions fluoresce under excitation by ultraviolet light and were found in ~1400 million-yr-old sandstone in the Roper Superbasin, Australia. The molecular composition of the oil determined by careful gas chromatography–mass spectrometry revealed a complex composition that has remained protected from the outside environment since trapping. Biomarkers show that the oil was derived from the remains of bacteria, in particular cyanobacteria. Colonies of these aquatic and photosynthesizing microbes also form stromatolites, which are some of the oldest fossils in the world, and are responsible for having generated an oxygen-rich atmosphere. Future work on even older samples could lead to a richer and more robust record of early microbial life.

Originally posted by Mathew Joy
    Did you? I'm sorry, but I can't find it...maybe I have to look again . But you've also said that Maybe other lifeforms have already adapted (probably you and me). The nature also have the 'reputation' (can't get a right word for it) for choosing the best and killing the rest(thats why it is said only the best will survive). And the only exception is the human race, even the weakest survive with the ever increasing power of medical technology. Maybe the nature have passed the limit of tolerating the weakest and may have come up with something to kill us.
    I wish we could hurry up that hair adaption, shaving is such a drag..and then you know if you go ahead and grow the bread, then your tasting lunch 4 hours later....

Originally posted by Mick
    I wish we could hurry up that hair adaption, shaving is such a drag..and then you know if you go ahead and grow the bread, then your tasting lunch 4 hours later....
    When you have to shave your ears every couple days you'll find
    growing the beard a time saver - tasting old lunch is a small
    issue compared to the ears.

shaving is such a drag..
    By the way how many minutes do you take to shave, Mick? For me it is just 5.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

By the way how many minutes do you take to shave, Mick? For me it is just 5.
    I'm armed with the latest technology depends on how long I've gone without shaving though

but to grow a goat, you have to grow da beard first...

/I'm such a bum...

Re: a morality tale

More than 3.5 billion years ago, a species of bacteria ....
    I think some serious drugs are needed here.
    Verere testudinem! (Fear the turtle)

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

Robots are trying to steal my luggage.

Re: Re: a morality tale

Originally posted by Tom Frohman
    first thought that came to my mind

Oil inclusions fluoresce under excitation by ultraviolet light and were found in ~1400 million-yr-old sandstone in the Roper Superbasin, Australia. The molecular composition of the oil determined by careful gas chromatography–mass spectrometry revealed a complex composition that has remained protected from the outside environment since trapping. Biomarkers show that the oil was derived from the remains of bacteria, in particular cyanobacteria. Colonies of these aquatic and photosynthesizing microbes also form stromatolites, which are some of the oldest fossils in the world, and are responsible for having generated an oxygen-rich atmosphere. Future work on even older samples could lead to a richer and more robust record of early microbial life.
    Mick, I wish I could be corrected like that more often. When I saw your quote, I had to go out and find more. I discovered that I had a much deeper misunderstanding, here. Some where along the line, I had associated oil production with deposits in the Carboniferous period due to the evolution of such plant fibers as lignin. Actually, it looks like that is mostly a source of coal, and cyanobacters and other large microbial mats from more ancient times are much more a cause of oil deposits. Going out and learning that has helped me put a bit more perspective on the geological sources of the two energy sources and has cleared up a murky misunderstanding I did not even know I had!

I even learned that oil is mostly associated with sedimentary deposits, and the differences from coal may be more of location and possibly timing than composition or origin.
    Maybe other lifeforms have already adapted (probably you and me). The nature also have the 'reputation' (can't get a right word for it) for choosing the best and killing the rest(thats why it is said only the best will survive). And the only exception is the human race, even the weakest survive with the ever increasing power of medical technology. Maybe the nature have passed the limit of tolerating the weakest and may have come up with something to kill us.
    Once we're able to completely control our genetic evolution and have conquered "that life thing" here in the next few hundred years, we'll be able to choose our paths rather than be selected. We will be our only selectors (though ther'll still probably be fighting amongst ourselves). If we make it there. We could even choose the future of plants, fungi, bacteria. We will be the brains of life on earth as it matures into adulthood. Today, it is still pretty much a nihilistic teen.
    Spoken through the keyboard by Tom Froman
    Yeah. The one's I've seen haven't been serious in years.
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Mick, I wish I could be corrected like that more often. When I saw your quote, I had to go out and find more. I discovered that I had a much deeper misunderstanding, here. Some where along the line, I had associated oil production with deposits in the Carboniferous period due to the evolution of such plant fibers as lignin. Actually, it looks like that is mostly a source of coal, and cyanobacters and other large microbial mats from more ancient times are much more a cause of oil deposits. Going out and learning that has helped me put a bit more perspective on the geological sources of the two energy sources and has cleared up a murky misunderstanding I did not even know I had!
    on the lighter side:

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders. The most famous is: Never get involved in a land war in Asia. Only slightly less well known is this: Never go in against a Republican when oil is on the line!

but seriously, let me return the favor of blowing smoke up the posterior.

I have no doubt that your more uptodate and current on subjects ranging in this area. I have lots of bits of useless knowledge (I read like a herion addict nods off) floating around in that thing that's three feet about my arse, so I was pretty sure I was correct, because my sick sense told me so but I did have to go back it up. Sorta like if I have a converstation with someone on a subject I'm not current on, or to say it's been awhile since I've delved deep into it, then I generally warn them that anything they say can and will be recorded in that thing that sits three feet above my arse for later use against them, then I go off and cram every bit of literature I can lay my hands on into again that thing that sits three feet above my arse. It's a character flaw...even if someone states something as a fact, and even if the whole world knows it's a fact, I still have to verify it myself

/This has been a public service announcement...

I'm armed with the latest technology...
    WOW!! Thats . But still shaving is a drag uugh? Confirms my belief that technology cannot satisfy man.
    Even if our suggestions didn't help, please post the answer once you find it. We took the effort to help you, please return it to others.

* While posting code sections please use CODE tags
    * Please check the codeguru FAQ and do a little search to see if your question have been answered before.
    * Like a post, Rate The Post
    * I blog: Network programming, Bible

I do all things thru CHRIST who strengthens me

Once we're able to completely control our genetic evolution and have conquered "that life thing" here in the next few hundred years, we'll be able to choose our paths rather than be selected.
    Originally posted by Gilgamesh c2700BC.
    "Who, my friend, can ascend to the heavens? Only the gods dwell forever with the Sun. As for humans, their days are numbered, their achievements are but a puff of wind."
    Verere testudinem! (Fear the turtle)

Once you can accept the universe as matter expanding into nothing that is something, wearing stripes with plaid comes easy. -Albert Einstein

Robots are trying to steal my luggage.

Wow Gilgamesh spoke English... amazing.

Also Gilgamesh wasn't a real person. Truly, truly fascinating.
    SolarFlare

Those who cling to life die and those who defy death live. -Sun Tzu

cout << endl;
    return 0;
    }

WOW!! Thats . But still shaving is a drag uugh? Confirms my belief that technology cannot satisfy man.
    one reason to further conquer the world and get my own personal shaving army...or maybe just get one of those mail order russian brides...hmm decisions decisions...

Originally posted by Gilgamesh c2700BC.
    "Who, my friend, can ascend to the heavens? Only the gods dwell forever with the Sun. As for humans, their days are numbered, their achievements are but a puff of wind."
    Originally writ by Lazarus Long
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded -- here and there, now and then -- are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck".

Little girls, like butterflies, need no excuse.

...and, of course...

Always store beer in a dark place.
    You guys can fix up your manes anyway you like. I'm waiting for the wings they promised me.
    */*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/*/

"It's hard to believe in something you don't understand." -- the sidhi X-files episode

galathaea: prankster, fablist, magician, liar

Originally writ by Lazarus Long
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded -- here and there, now and then -- are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck".

1. I've never thought of anything in terms of 'it can't be done'
    2. that coming from a dirty hippie communist liberal who spent so much time hugging a tree crying whoo is me, whoo is the poor, the downtrodden, whoo is the world, that they never actually got out and did anything about it. Just like the left of today.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast