CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

OnInitDialog not called

Hello,

I have a dialog in my application. I am bringing it up by calling DoModal method. The dialog does show up. However, OnInitDialog is never called. Any reason why would this happen?

This is virtually impossible...can you post your project here (excluding the debug and release directory)?

This is impossible.. u pls use RebuildAll from the Build menu. and try to debug it.

jim

Sounds to me like your OnInitDialog declaration in your dialog isn't the same as the virtual function in CDialog.

It should be

Code:
    BOOL OnInitDialog();
    Darwen.
    www.pinvoker.com - PInvoker - the .NET PInvoke Interface Exporter for C++ Dlls.

How do you know it isn't called?
    "Signature":
    My web site is Simple Samples.
    C# Corner Editor

In MFC Visual Studio, build the project in Debug mode and set a breakpoint in your OnInitDialog() function.

Otherwise, use a MessageBox(NULL, "In InitDialog", 0, 0 ) as the first line in InitDialog() to see if it pops up when you run the program.
    Andrew Ferlitsch

The declaration is as follows:

virtual BOOL OnInitDialog();

One reason I know it is not being called is that I have a break point in OnInitDialog method but it is never invoked. I have a break point in the constructor of the dialog which IS invoked.

Another reason I know it is not being called is that the stuff I want to happen in OnInitDialog isn't happen. It is supposed to disable some controls, set context-sensitivie help IDs and initialize some member variables. All of that doesnt happen.

The most bizarre thing is that the dialog does show up. All the controls are there, although the ones that should be disabled arent and they have no context-sensitive help (because OnInitDialog is never called)

By the way, my dialog is dervied from CFileDialog and it is using a dialog template resource. Basically, what I am doing is adding a couple of controls to standard file dialog.

Originally posted by kzseattle
    By the way, my dialog is dervied from CFileDialog and it is using a dialog template resource. Basically, what I am doing is adding a couple of controls to standard file dialog.
    Well you did not tell us that. Of course OnInitDialog is not called.
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

But OnInitDialog is a virtual function and CFileDialog is derived from CDialog and my dialog is derived from CFileDialog. So why wouldnt OnInitDialog be called? I dont thing it is a correct statement to say that OnInitDialog is not invoked for CFileDialog-derived classes. How else could one initialize the controls then?

But OnInitDialog is a virtual function and CFileDialog is derived from CDialog and my dialog is derived from CFileDialog. So why wouldnt OnInitDialog be called? I dont thing it is a correct statement to say that OnInitDialog is not invoked for CFileDialog-derived classes. How else could one initialize the controls then?

Have you created a Message Map to WM_INITDIALOG in your CFileDialog-derived class? Maybe you added OnInitDialog() by hand. Try using the class wizard (Ctrl+W).

Hope that helps.

_msd_
    While memory is getting abundant, it is not an excuse for wasting it with bad programming design/practice.

For OnInitDialog method, you dont need to add a message map entry of WM_INITDIALOG. The framework is supposed to call this method anyway.

For OnInitDialog method, you dont need to add a message map entry of WM_INITDIALOG. The framework is supposed to call this method anyway.
    Yes, everything you say is correct. I am sorry I doubted you. I had forgotten that CFileDialog calls OnInitDialog like other dialogs do.

So I don't know why OnInitDialog is not being called. The only possibility is that there are two instances of your CFileDialog.
    "Signature":
    C# Corner Editor

Re: OnInitDialog not called

UP - I've got the same problem.

Re: OnInitDialog not called

We've got the same answers !
    (show your lines)

Talking Re: OnInitDialog not called

But I've got the answer!
    Set m_bVistaStyle to FALSE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast